Cutting Ceramic wall tiles - using an angle grinder

Faced with the problem of cutting a few ceramic wall tiles I cam across the idea of using a diamond disc and angle grinder. I have a segmented diamond disc but notice screwfix only suggests smooth discs. So my question is: can I use my segmented disc or should I buy another? The tiles are small (10x10cm) ones

TIA Frank

Reply to
Frank

I do it all the time when cutting out of tiles for sockets/switches/window frames.

An electric tile cutter is just an angle grinder clamped under a small table. I've always used segemented discs, as that is the way most are sold in builders merchants. Tile cutters use full discs. Maybe the difference is heat dissipation, as tile cutters generally need a water bath to keep the cutter cool.

Reply to
A.Lee

You'll be fine if you take it easy. Wear a dust mask because that silica gets right down your lungs

Reply to
Nthkentman

Well the obvious thing to do is try and see...

The usual reason for wanting to cut with a grinder is that you need difficult cuts (curves, corners etc) and / or you are working with super hard tiles such as porcelain, or difficult to score and snap like some (travertine) marble ones.

These you can either cut with a wet diamond disc in a tile cutter (the same discs will fit an AG, but may need shimming since they are thinner than standard diamond discs). You will also need to provide water to stop it overheating. Alternatively go for one of the good quality continuous rim masonry discs. Norton do a very good one which produces a polished cut in just about anything, although be prepared to pay more than the cost of the grinder for it! (was £50 last time I got one - and that was a few years back)

Reply to
John Rumm

hire a tile saw for a day. should be a fiver or less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

finer cut on a diamond tile cutter disk. slower hotter but more precise and doesn't crack the glaze as much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've cut hundreds of tiles with a standard stone cutting disk. Works a treat.

Reply to
Huge

+1 Especially as it's usually only a couple of tiles that aren't straight cuts.
Reply to
stuart noble

But running at a much slower speed and in a water bath. Which makes all the difference if you need accurate cuts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the advice and encouragement - I tried it and knives and butter came to mind. Just need to develop a light but steady hand. Frank

Reply to
Frank

You can use a bit of 2x1" as a straight edge to run the disc along. It will wear and need replacing from time to time if doing many cuts, but works well enough.

Reply to
John Rumm