9" grinder or stone cutter?

Guys

I've got a 4.5" angle grinder with diamond blade and am going to cut around 20 concrete slabs. Tried one and it took about 15 mins, are the

9" angle grinders much quicker? I'm trying to decide between a 9" angle grinder or a second hand stone cutter (£75). I'd much rather buy than hire as I'd use these again on various diy jobs such as floor tiling and putting patio doors in. I don't like deadlines when I'm cutting either!!

Thanks for any advice

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Curtis

it. If you need to cut through slabs for it to fit around things though then you do need to cut through. I have the 9 inch Makita grinder and its the mutts nutts, couple it with a quality diamond blade and it laughs at slabs. Its around 90 quid with another 30 quid for a diamond blade, but it is a real quality bit of kit that will lasta diy`er forever. Its up to you wether you buy new or used. Although I would have thought that a grinder would be more versatile than a stone cutter.

Reply to
John Woodhall

Sounds like that it one tough bit of stone, or a pretty poor grinder / disc! I am surprised it took so long with a diamond blade.

The 9" grinders have the same linear speed at the edge of the disc and hence much faster than the smaller ones. They way the big grinders win is cutting depth and also the fact they tend to be more powerful.

Using a 9" grinder with a diamond blade, I found I could cut a 2" thick concrete slab in a couple of minuets tops. You could do it faster if you just cut a score in the top and then "snapped" the slab along the score line.

The grinder will be the more versatile tool to own I would have thought, in that you can use it for tasks other than cutting.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks Jon, I was thinking more of the grinder. The 9 inch ones are

2000w compared to 750 for the 4.5 inch so it must make a difference.

Thanks again

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Curtis

No, but some diamond disks are better than others.

Cutting stone is one of the few things I use my 9" for. It cuts steel little faster than my 4 1/2", yet is much less controllable. However the extra cut depth is definitely useful for stone.

Andy Dingley

sorry for replying to my own post - but I just notices I have been typing nonsese again! ;-)

make that: "hence *are not* much faster"

Reply to
John Rumm

Just hired a Bosch 9" grinder with diamond blade last week to cut some paving slabs. Went through in seconds. As said, you don't need to cut all the way through but make sure you make a slightly angled cut so you dont have any protruding bits when you break off. I was so impressed I bought a Makita 9" with a screwfix diamond blade. I have only needed to use it once so far but the screwfix blade does not seem as controllable (and ultimately safe) as the branded one that came with the hired grinder. My advice make sure you get a quality diamond blade and save going down the A&E!

Reply to
StealthUK

I cut four 2 x 3ft slabs in half to use as a retainer in a trench to get the garden away from the front wall of the house.

Cut them with my little Bosch and a Screwfix diamond blade. Cut all way across one side and each edge as deep as the blade would go safely then turned them over and cut the other side, left a little sliver that shapped as soon as you moved them afterwards.

The cut edge is in concrete so didn't matter anyway.

No rush to do them so perfectly good enough for the job. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.