Which saw?

Hi

I have a few jobs around the garden which will require a saw - wondering if it is worth investing (not much) in one so I don't have to pay for a hire.

I understand circular saws are generally aimed at cutting wood, but you can then buy blades to cut concrete?

Do the machines/blades come in different sizes I guess? Is a circular saw the best way to cut through concrete?

Reply to
mo

Circular saws are good for quite a number of tasks, and it is possible to cut concrete with the right blade. However its not really the ideal tool for it. For moderate amounts of concrete cutting a diamond disc in an angle grinder is the best way forward. For large quantities a stone saw (basically a big 12" angle grinder with water cooling).

Do the machines/blades come in different sizes I guess? Is a circular Yup several different sizes. The most common probably being 7" these days.

Loads more info here:

John Rumm

Could I suggest you list these jobs as there are so many different saws which all match different materials to cut. I have a reasonable amount of garden and can't think of an application there for a circular saw except for a construction project.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

If I had to live with just one power sae it would definitely be a circular. NOT a jigsaw.

Concrete cutting is the domain of an angle grinder.

NT

Agreed. A chop saw might be useful if you were making a long picket fence, a circular saw would be indispensible if you were constructing (say) a tool or bike store largely made from plywood. A 300 mm diamond disk in a large angle grinder is the right way to cut concrete slabs. A big SDS drill with cold chisels might be the tool for breaking up a concrete path.

Reply to
newshound

What sort of jobs? I wouldn't try using a circular saw to prune trees, for example. Not unless you want to get fitted with an attractive chrome hook instead of a hand. I use a circular saw to cut up wood for the fire, but it's a large bench circular saw powered by a tractor, so not likely to be of much interest to anyone with a suburban garden.

Or do you mean garden construction projects such as decking and fences? I'd say for those you're better off hiring a sliding mitre/chop saw. Buying a decent one isn't cheap and cheap ones aren't decent.

For concrete an angle grinder is better and IMO safer than a circular saw.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Its hard to see how having a large spinning disk on an angle grinder could be safer than having a large spinning disk mounted in a frame with a stable base and better guards. A hint about the relative safety is probably given by the use of machines with larger blades, you don't see a 24" blade in an angle grinder to make them safer than when they are in a machine.

Reply to
dennis

The most dangerous part of either an angle grinder or circular saw is the nut that holds the handle. ;-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

Couple of jobs that need doing soon.

Cutting and resizing of wooden fence panels. Though I spose a hand aw would be better for a straight cut?

Cutting of concrete gravel boards - I need to do this tomorrow - anyone know if this will do it in the short term?

also need to cut some concrete in the floor which is holding up a washing line - not sure how deep it is.

I will also ne doing some block paving to being able to cut through natural stone would be superb.

I don't want to spend too much dosh though as this gardening project is costing more and more each day!

Reply to
mo

a snowball in hells chance. Its for light concrete not pressure moulded gravel boards.

By a cheap angle grinder and a diamond disk.

Sledge hammer or dig a deeper hole next to it and push it in.

Its that grinder again so buy a better one.

Reply to
dennis

mo coughed up some electrons that declared:

Not sure about that saw - concrete gravel boards are pretty hard, but this will do most of what you want (only that bit about the unknown depth concrete is in doubt):

's cheap for what it is but it's competent (I have one). I got a cheapy diamond blade for mine and it's managed medium grade concrete perfectly well.

Or hire one - if you can do all your jobs in a day or 3.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

> It's cheap for what it is but it's competent (I have one). I got a cheapy

Thanks for the replies so far

Yes, I have been reading about angle grinders since I posted, I suppose they offer good value for what they can do... slightly scared of using one tho!!

That 9 incher looks pretty big .I was going to go for the 4.5in - which will do the gravel boards quite easily I guess. Does the 4.5 mean that is the size of the disc, so i will only get half that cut depth or does it mean I get 4.5inch cut?

I might go for one of these:

is the difference between the 110v and 240v, I guess I need the 240v as a domestic user?

The Bosch one look OK? Are there any safety features in the more expensive ones not in the cheaper ones?

Which blade would you recommend to go with it?

Also, I read that when cutting paving stones you should use water to prevent dust spreading, does this apply with angle grinders.. can they come with water dust suppresion?

Reply to
mo

mo coughed up some electrons that declared:

>>> It's cheap for what it is but it's competent (I have one). I got a cheapy

9" is slightly scarier than a 4.5", but not much as long as you start out with an attitude of respect. Keep the line of the cut away from as many of your appendages as possible in the rare case of it kicking (never had this happen) and keep a firm controlled hold of the tool and the workpiece, Keep random interference well away (lock up the kids and pets - you don't want any distractions). With a correct attitude and preparation, there's not much to be worried about. It's when people get blase, accidents happen.
4.5" dia disc. You've got about 1" useable depth the tool head has some diameter too. It will do the gravel boards, probably just. Bit tight on the stone, depending on how thick they are, but it would possibly be enough to snap them the rest of the way, or cut from both sides, leaving a clean cut on the top face and a break on the lower non visible bit. 9" would be better though. Definately use a diamond disc if you must go for a 4.5" - grit discs wear fast and reduce your depth even more.

That's a nice model in the 4.5" range - as you can see there is a locking button to allow the spindle to be locked when using a spanner to change the blade. The green version needs 2 spanners.

It'll be very handy for cutting and grinding metal which the 9" is a bit too unwieldy for. But if you are really in it for the stonework, the 9" would still be a better choice IMHO.

240V unless you have a site 240-110V transformer. 110 (or 55-0-55 as it really is) is a bit safer in wet conditions, but you'll have an RCD on the end in such conditions, wouldn;t you(!)

Blue Bosch is reliable for a bit of abuse - well made pro end.

Green Bosch is DIY grade - still fairly well made, but no so abuse proof and some features that make for an easier life may be missing.

Hitachi is another OK brand - Screwfix have a deal on now of a 4.5" plus 9" together for a very reasonable price:

Which blade would you recommend to go with it?

Stone/concrete - diamond. A cheap diamond will walk all over grit discs.

Get a few metal cutters and one or twp metal grinders (thicker discs) for a fairly versatile starter set. There are wire brushes, mortar rake bits and lots of other random gismos too.

I wouldn't stick water near one unless it was designed for it and definately not on grit discs - can cause them to fail (that's BAD as in big bang bad).

Generally, do it outside and it'll throw the dust away from you. Inside and it will look like the Sahara on a very bad day in about 10 seconds (done that).

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

>> HTH

Looks good, think I am sold on it,

1 inch depth with a 4.5 blade won;t really cut it for me. I definitely want the option of making deeper cuts in the future

Another use is that I have put up concrete posts (2 so far) - if the all end up different heights I can take the top off to make them the same height.

Any idea on the depth a 9incher gives?

Reply to
mo

For that sort of money, go for one of these:

What is the difference between the 110v and 240v, I guess I need the 240v as

Yes, you need 240V, 110V units are for construction site use and you need to get a transformer to use them. The transformer is wired to ensure that the maximum voltage between you and earth if you touch the live wire is 55V. It's safer than a 240V power tool but generally more expensive and you need a very large heavy transformer. The RCD in your consumer unit should provide adequate protection so you don't need the

110V tools. If you don't have an RCD or you're unsure about whether you have one you can buy a plug-in RCD for extra assurance.

The angle grinder I've suggested is bigger than the one you were looking at. The disks are twice as large. You'll need this to cut through a concrete gravel board. They're easy to use, just have a practice with it first. I suggest that you buy a diamond cutting disk suitable for concrete and stone. It will last much longer than the cheaper abrasive disks.

The one thing you need to get used to is the feel of the grinder running at speed. They are like gyroscopes, as you move them they will try to rotate in a direction at right angles to the movement. This takes a little getting used to. Provided that you don't try to wave the grinder around like a feather duster it won't be a problem.

If you go for the smaller grinder you will find that it won't cut right through the block and you will have to turn the block over and cut the other side matching the two cuts up precisely. Then you will still have to split it using a bolster. You will also find that the disks wear rapidly when cutting concrete and you need to buy large stacks of them unless you use diamond disks.

Don't ever attempt to cut concrete with a disk designed for metal or vice versa it's dangerous.

Buy goggles and heavy riggers gloves and wear them. Keep loose clothing away from moving parts, it's probably worthwhile taking off all jewellery especially rings, you don't want to have an accident where the flesh is stripped off your finger down to the bone. Wear the gloves.

So to summarise you want:

(Angle grinder 230mm)
(Diamond concrete cutting disk 230mm)
(Goggles, mask, gloves, earplugs)

As to the fence panels, I wouldn't use a circular saw because the panels are full of nails and hitting one of those with the saw is a dodgy proposition. I'd use a Stanley Jetcut hand saw which will go through the panel like a knife through butter. It's also handy for other general garden use.

teeth are specially designed to cut on push and pull strokes and they are made in such a way that they leave a very smooth finish but cut rapidly through the wood - much faster than a normal saw. The teeth are also as sharp as razors, don't touch them with your fingers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

>>> It's cheap for what it is but it's competent (I have one). I got a

As you should be. Treat angle grinders with a great deal of respect.

No chance whatsoever on a concrete gravel board BTDTGTTS, you will still be there next month. You need a 230mm machine.

What is the difference between the 110v and 240v, I guess I need the

You do. 110v is for use on building sites & needs a transformer.

Not really. Bosch is an excellent make though, high quality at that price.

Diamond deffo. Check out Aldi & Lidl, they do pretty good ones at reasonable prices.

No it doesn't, no they don't. Be prepared for sh*t loads of dust.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

mo coughed up some electrons that declared:

The reviews are good - I have a Hitachi SDS and that takes rather more abuse than should be good for it.

This is the cheapest blade from Screwfix - I have one and it's taken some abuse on concrete and still going strong:

it adds another £20 (unless Aldi/Lidl have any specials on) but it should see you through your joblist and still have life in it.

About 3 and a bit inches IME. Again, the head has some diameter, but, unless you go to a 12" grinder which is overkill for most of your jobs (and much scarier) you'll manage. The posts: do what you can from one side and then run round both adjacent sides until you get through. Should look OK.

Take it slow and let the weight of the machine do the work - don't force it hard. It'll cut quickly enough and it's safer. The posts and gravel board probably have steel bar in, which the disc should manage, but don't force it - you may feel it when you hit these so be prepared for a possible change in the handling and let it work its own way through.

Eye protection (googles) and ear defenders would be very advisable. These are cheap enough though.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Done that, a 9" AG will neatly trim the tops, but make sure you are on a firm safe base. You can't be wobbling about when you do it.

Enough to trim a concrete post or cut a gravel board.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

For downward cuts obviously, but you get the idea...

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks for all the help guys

I'll make some decisions tomorrow.

Do the discs brake that often - if so is there a likelyhood of it coming back at me?

And also ,kick back - if it all goes wrong what can happen?

Reply to
mo