Completely serious angle grinder question

I do that myself with the 4" angle grinders. Not with the full sized ones tho.

I don't ever do that, even tho I have never had a disc or wheel come apart.

Sure, that is certainly the main downside of youtube, plenty who don't have a clue about how to use them safely. But the best of them warn you about the problems much better than any printed instructions can do.
Simon Brown wrote:

Having now actually used my new first-time angle grinder, I can understand I think why some people do remove the guard: to get a decent view of the blade and where I was cutting I found that I had to peer over the top of it - which rather defeats much of the point of having it there, doesn't it?
In general though I found the tool easier to use and rather less daunting than I was expecting from all the horror stories.
Thanks to everyone here for all the thoughts and advice.
Bert

So now you're ready for a chainsaw.
:o)
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 48th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

I don't need a decent view of the blade, I look at what its doing to what I am using the angle grinder to do instead.

No, because it does prevent most of the bits hitting the user if the disk does come apart.

Yeah, I have never had a disc come apart and have never had it jam in the work either. But then I don't use it to cut steel, I use a disc in an electric saw that is mounted in my own system to cut steel and use the angle grinder to on the excess welds and rough edges that the saw produce.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback from a new user.

It you are peering over the top of an unguarded disc and it hits a snag you will get the disc in your face - still it's your life. If you are cutting metal the bits of hot metal being ground off can be hot
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
"charles" wrote:

How is one supposed to guide the cut properly if the placing of the disc isn't in view?
Bert

hold the grinder closer to your body and lean over.
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
"charles" wrote:

That's what I did. But it does seem in contradiction to all the safety warnings.

You look at what the disc does to what you are cutting.
Simon Brown wrote:

In some circumstances, wouldn't it be a little late by then?

Yes, it can be if you are using it to cut. I personally don’t use an angle grinder to cut when cutting is critical, I use a metal cutting disc in a circular saw in my own arrangement that turns a normal portable circular saw into a cutoff saw or use a cutoff saw. I normally use an angle grinder to grind welds back flush where that needs to be done or with a wire brush to get rust off and doing it that way by seeing what it does to the work works fine.
Simon Brown wrote:

Yes, even in my severely limited experience it's become clear that the tool is better suited for grinding (hence the name) than cutting. It just happened that the particular job I needed it for couldn't easily have been tackled with anything else.

Why aren't you cutting the slate before its part of the roof ?
If you did it that way, you could use something much better than an angle grinder.
Simon Brown wrote:

I did, but I did it wrong. And it's not on a roof.

I did. I used an excellent slate guillotine. But once the slates were in their final places that wasn't practical.
On 02/05/2015 10:04, Bert Coules wrote:

When you watch paving guys cutting kerbstones etc, it's clear that a high level of accuracy is possible

Although IME the sum total of safety equipment they use is a roll-up. No goggles, helmet or ear protection.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 49th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 02/05/2015 11:14, Huge wrote:

TBH I don't think the risks are that high compared, say, to a circular saw.

The difference is that you don’t have to take the guard off to see what you are doing with a circular saw and can in fact have decent laser indication of where you will be cutting if you want with the saw.
On 02/05/2015 21:09, Simon Brown wrote:

I've never had a grinder kick back, even when making less than precise cuts in 50mm slabs. That's the advantage of a disc over a toothed blade I guess.

I haven't either, but I don’t use them to cut, just to grind off metal.

I don’t use them for that either, a circular saw works a lot better for that.

I haven't had a circular saw kick back either so that line can't fly.