Range Hood

We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Katherine.

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

use a motorcar part replica of the era of the stove, like a car hood of a buick of the fifties was my first idea but i think you are headed toward frank lloyd wright, maybe a 1925 ford pickup. give or take your color choice. if automotive front ends hanging over the stove aren't what you had in mind [but wait --the headlights would have been cool!] how about a metal rolltop desk design for the range hood. factory venting options you started with that are boring are seen at:

buffalobill

Define exciting and fresh. My definition would be custom made stainless steel with least possible sharp bends to snag the sponge as I clean it. It would vent through the wall to the outside, since no other method serves any useful purpose.

What's your definition?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think you need to get over your compulsion to be unique. Your not.

Reply to
scott21230

OK. Subtract "custom made", and everything else I said is universally valid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would suggest hiring a kitchen designer like the one below who started out in Beverly Hills.

Then in addition to the new range and hood which will probably clash with the "old" kitchen, I would recommend an entire kitchen "face lift" with new cabinets, countertops, and appliances to match.

Kitchen designer...

Bill

at:

Cars! My husband would love that theme! We'll have to look into this...

As for the Aga Shop, there's just one tiny problem. It might sound just awful, but I don't want something that somebody else already has, especially anything that remotely resembles anything that anyone I know has or is getting. I know that's beyond "keep up with the Joneses" and more like "the Joneses never dreamed of this" but when you're spending for the kitchen of your dreams, you want it to make an impression! I'm sure you understand.

Thanks for your terrific ideas.

Katherine

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

Hello, Joe.

I apologize if my post was a bit nebulous, I've just been a bit short on time lately as the holidays approach!

Fresh, exciting, unique, one-of-a-kind: This means I want something different than I've seen in other people's homes. Someone else here suggested a car theme, which my husband will definitely adore. That sounds fresh to me, and I'm entertaining the new and innovative right now.

When I fell in love with this little Aga in Aubergine my husband told me I could do anything I wanted to the kitchen. Since the range was the first piece, I'm working around it, and I;m actually really enjoying myself,

My husband's secretary sent this link

to Metallo Arts. I haven't heard of them but they seem to be able to do just about anything. Apparently they make "art hoods" inspired by Jackson Polluck or Andy Warhol, too. Isn't that a kick? Have you heard of them? What do you think? They're in the NKBA but I don't know anyone who has used them (which is, in itself, part of the attraction).

Your thoughts are appreciated, and happy holidays, Joe.

Katherine

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

All that texture will trap dirt, and when you try to clean it, you will want to kill yourself for buying one of those things. I suspect you either have a maid, or love spending half a day cleaning something that should take 8 minutes to clean.

Useless textures do not belong in kitchens or bathrooms. Period.

I also think it's odd that your husband's secretary is involved with this. I can't quite explain why, though.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

We have a housekeeper.

I'll not describe our baths to you then.

Or maybe she's trying to be helpful.

Katherine.

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

In that case, go for it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The hood

*is* going to gather dirt more than a smooth one, though. Be prepared for that.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

designer...

Hello, Bill.

Unfortunately, I met with two designers that came recommended to me and neither seemed to be enthusiastic over my ideas. I consulted the designer who worked with us in our summer home (we did Viking/ Eurostyle there) and he didn't seem to warm enough to it either, You just can't fake it and you're either on board with it or you're not.

I don't want what everyone else has. I don't want to do what everyone else is doing. I want our kitchen to reflect us. It's the heart of our home.

Thanks for your help and understanding,

Katherine

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

Surely you mean "You're not."

Happy holidays, Scott.

Katherine

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

There are two different "everyones". One group would be homeowners, and you're right. Not many people would have one of the designer hoods you pointed out in your other message.

The other group would be professional chefs, and they would never install something that was hard to clean. They also have "housekeepers", but it doesn't matter.

Kitchens are messy places no matter how careful you are. Would you wear a $400.00 sweater while making tomato sauce? Of course not.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I understand the point you're making here, Joe. The problem I'm having is this, It's not just the kitchen. It's art.

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase

Oy!

You're going to do it no matter what anyone thinks. You weren't really looking for opinions, obviously.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

At first, I didn't pay attention to the thread, especially when it got to car parts :o) Then I got curious and now I remember seeing Aga's long, long ago. My fave is Magic Chef from ?thirties. Ennyhoo, have you considered glass? All kinds of stuff you can do with glass, from tempered glass in a metal framework to form-molded stained glass. We had to cover up an ugly, old metal tile backsplash and didn't want to rip out the wall. Slapped some Formica-type stuff onto it (pick your color/pattern) and put tempered glass with a pattern over the Formica. F. glued in place, glass just hanging on with clear silicone all around. Glass has a joint, but joint doesn't show because of the pattern. Pattern is with smoothe side out for ease of cleaning. It had to be cut, sent back to factory for tempering, and then delivered. About 7'wide, across range/countertop below wall cabinets. About $70 for the glass. All sealed up so there is no condensation behind it and cleaning doesn't cause anything to seep behind. Doesn't get very hot, as I first thought it might get very hot and then crack if something splattered on it. When I get tired of the pattern, I can cut the silicone and take it down. I'm in love with the glass basins in the restrooms at a restaurant nearby - form molded with colored glass, which can be free-form or patterned. You would need a sturdy framework, but that could be relatively simple. Let us know :o)

Reply to
Norminn

...or your knot.

Reply to
GWB

GLASS!

What a brilliant idea!

I'm going to have to bring that one, along with the car idea, to the table this week end. The more info you have for me, the better.

Thanks a million!

Katherine.

Reply to
Katherine Walker-Chase