Best way to clean unfinished wood cabinet interior?

The interior of the wooden cabinet under my kitchen sink has gotten pretty dirty; stained too. The interior is unfinished plywood, I think.

What's the best way to clean the inside and perhaps remove some of the stains as well?

Reply to
Steven L.

Steve,

Under sink cabinets get wet and dirty. Unfinished isn't a good idea. Try

200 grit sandpaper to deal with the stains. Then stain the wood if you want. Apply several coats of some sort of finish. I'd use satin polyurethane.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

What kind of dirt ?

I have removed stains with oxiclean solution. Apply, let dry, repeat until desired effect is obtained.

Greg.

Reply to
gregz

Not fair, you put in two questions here!

Please say you're going to ultimately seal/finish the wood later.

But one at a time. Here was my solution to cleaning dusty unfinished panel that had a small 'drip' stain.

first keep as dry as possible use NO wet cleaners. remove all 'dirty' type dust. Dust can't penetrate. So a 220, 330, or even 440 sanding helps knock that dust off. Use a paint tac rag to clean off after light sanding.

Now you have a clean surface but a stain spot. Any water base is going to raise the grain, so must be careful here. I have successfully 'spread' the spot by cleaning and gently continuing it out until not noticeable. But is tricky and requires a bit of learned skill. As in learn how as you do with no way to go back and undo.

If this is down inside, out of view; screw it! Simply clean and seal and be done.

Reply to
RobertMacy