Looking for unusual bolt

Hi

I'm looking for a coach bolt where the square section runs the full length of the unthreaded bit.

Any suggestions of suppliers that might have such a thing?

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

I doubt anyone makes anything like that as a standard item. You would probably need to get a machine shop make you one (or more0 specially.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I did suspect as much.

I had an idea for making it myself - what do you think about this?

Procure some square section bar the right size and run a die over each end. I realise this will result in only the four corners being threaded

- do you think this could work?

I could then put a nylock nut on each side...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

A normal die will only cut on a continuous surface ie round rod.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It doesn't take any load then?

Why not drill through it and put a cotter pin and some washers on?

If you need it to look neater drill through a cap nut and put the cotter pin through that.

Reply to
dennis

If you mean an ordinary three-lobe button die, I very much doubt it. I can't see three cutting edges and four corners mixing very well. A four-lobe die might work, with a lot of care, but it would be much better to use a lathe and turn the ends round first, or simply to use the lathe to cut the threads

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks everyone...

I think I'll take the broken bolt to a metalworker and see if they can just make a similar replacement.

Reply to
Steve Lupton