Changing locks: need to fill gaps

I need to change a couple of external door locks now our tenants have departed. I can't get the same locks and so the striker plate assemblies are going to have a bit of a gap vertically above and below them.
What's best to fill the gaps? Thick mix of Polyfiller, put the striker plate in and let it go off? Or something more 'technical'?
TIA

F wrote:

I'd probably use car body filler on the basis of its strength; however if the gaps are definitely not somewhere that's going to compromise the lock's integrity, Polyfilla would be easier to use.
David
Lobster wrote:

Body filler is favourite because it goes off so quickly. Smear grease or washing up liquid on the back of plate so you can take it out again if necessary.
Stuart Noble wrote:

This is similar to car body filler but designed for wood http://www.wickes.co.uk/Super-Tough-Woodfiller/invt/600073
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On 06/07/2009 20:14 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thanks, all.
Filler sounds like the way to go. I'll call in at Wickes.

F wrote:

Buy some of those latex gloves, its a sod to get off your hands.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On 06/07/2009 22:39 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thanks for the warning! SWMBO says she's grateful too...

F wrote:

Halfords is better value. 1.75 kgs 9.49. The only difference is the colour

Too late now, but if you'd taken them to a decent locksmith he should be able to alter them to take a different key. Assuming the locks were worth it. With a Yale night latch, worth asking a pal if you can swop barrels.
--
*People want trepanners like they want a hole in the head*