What do you put in gaps in plaster by window and door frames

Hi

Please could someone give me advice on the following.

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

I also have gaps between teh plasterboard and window frame in the kitchen but for a differenet reason. The plaster put up the plasterboard and skimmed it but left about 1cm gap all around the window frame where it goes back to the stone wall.

Is the solution for both of these gaps to fill with standard filler or for deep holes going back to the stone wall should I use some expanding foam, let that dry and then put on a little bit of fine surface filler to finish the job?

Reply to
Tez

Remove the loose stuff and fill with "decorators chaulk". This is a flexable filler and will take the movement between the timber and plaster without cracking. Note you can't sand this stuff so you need to finish it properly before it skins/sets. This makes it tricky to use for gaps much over a couple of mm.

So for bigger gaps I'd fill with plaster or ordinary filler. Then if really keen create a small gap between the frame and new filler before the latter sets fully. Once set fill that with decorators chaulk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stick anything in that fills the gaps and finish off with filler. Foam pipe insulation is useful. You can shove it into quite large cavities and it has enough spring to hold itself in place. Hell of a lot cheaper than squirty foam, and less messy.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Decorators caulk.

Or for deeper holes, foam then decorators caulk.

For exterior use, get a frame sealant mastic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah..Decorators Chaulk is what painters use to write on walls with when chatting on the phone .

It's Decorators Caulk you want ...lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The sort of gaps I've seen in the situations you describe are usually covered by architrave.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack