blocking off an airbrick

There's a cold draught coming into the kitchen from behind the washing maschine. Looking on the outside wall there's an airbrick. I know it's there fro a reason, but what are the consequences of blocking it off for now until the warmer weather? TIA, |B

Reply to
ben doon

It might kill you, depending on the reason it's there, which you didn't say. For starters, exactly what gas appliances have you got in the house, and how near to that vent are they?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from "ben doon" contains these words:

Where does the air for your boiler come from? If, like many people you've had your boiler replaced with a balanced flue type then the worst that'll happen is you'll risk a bit of damp. Modern houses aren't very well ventilated.

What I did to ours was fit the airbrick with a flap both sides slightly sprung out from the surface - plenty of air gets through but when the wind gusts the flap slaps shut and the draught stops.

Many of the other houses round here have just filled them in or taped over them and thus far no one's died of CO poisoning.

Reply to
Guy King

|In article , | "ben doon" writes: |> There's a cold draught coming into the kitchen from |> behind the washing maschine. Looking on the |> outside wall there's an airbrick. I know it's there |> fro a reason, but what are the consequences of |> blocking it off for now until the warmer weather? | |It might kill you, depending on the reason it's there, |which you didn't say. For starters, exactly what gas |appliances have you got in the house, and how near to |that vent are they?

Also how many square inches or square centimetres of ventilation do they require if any, Read the Manual!

Do you have a coal fire in the house! Has one been removed. If the house is old, it maybe was built with coal fires in mind.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop