Emulsion to make the joins in lining paper invisible?

Can anyone recommend a good-value emulsion paint that will cover up (make invisible) the joins in lining paper with one coat? Will I need some sort of textured paint, or is there full-bodied ordinary emulsion that will do it?

Thank you

JimT

Reply to
Jim T

In message , Jim T writes

I don't think you will find anything that will do that.

Reply to
chris French

What's the gap? It shouuld be very small.

I really wouldn't do that - textured paint on walls (I take it that the paper is on walls?) is nasty (things rub against it).

If the gaps are too big to fill and cover with paint, then you will have to fill them. Paint first, then apply filler such as polyfiller, or another re-inforced one, carefully, with a filling knife. Remove excess with a just, only just, barely damp cloth stretched over a block like sandpaper. Carefully wipe off any residue right up to the join/gap with tissue or a dry cloth, or the filler will be very visible when painted, as it will shine out flat. You should have no need of rubbing down.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If the lining paper has been properly hung the edges will be so closely butted that a coat of paint will pretty much cover them anyway. If the gaps are too big you might find that a wipe of fine surface filler before painting will mostly disguise them.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately, the lining paper has been applied with a 1/2" overlap. The edges are not butted together. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm not looking to achieve perfection, but I would like the lining paper joints to disappear.

Thanks again

JimT

Reply to
Jim T

Yes, the paper is on walls.

Thanks for this suggestion. Unfortunately the lining paper has been overlapped at the edges (I thought that was what you were supposed to do when I applied it) and it has a very fine texture, so your filler method might be particularly noticeable when the filler shines out flat. But it'll probably look better than seeing the joints in the paper. I do not want to strip the paper off again - one reason being that it has been applied directly to plasterboard.

JimT

Reply to
Jim T

Oh dear oh dear. Perhaps you can get a very sharp blade and straight edge, cut gently through the overlap, soak the joint area, peel off the cut off strips (one of which will be on top, one underneath), then brush a little paste under the paper, roll it flat, wipe off excess paste on the surface of the paper. A fiddly business.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If all else fails, you could, when it's bone dry, pare off the overlap, or even rub it off with some glass- paper, and re-paper over the whole lot.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Personally I'd take it all down and put it up properly. I made the mistake of overlapping the lining paper and then painting over it, it looks terrible. It was a pain in the arse taking it all down again, but when done properly it looked *much* better.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

In message , Jim T writes

And now you are wondering 'why did I think that...' I think you've learn the hard way on this one :-(

Indeed, it's look pretty crap.

not sure about that, as you won't be able to just fill the gap carefully, you'll have to fill and feather the edges - it's going to be time consuming and tedious as well.

TBh, I think that is what I would do. lining paper should come off plasterboard ok with a a little bit of care.

Filling will look crap IMO, I think just painting over it would be better than that. Only othe roption I can think of is trying to cut down the join with straight edge and sharp knife , and remove the excess. Another fiddly job.

Reply to
chris French

Scrape back to bare plaster and apply new lining paper as it should have been done in the first place.

Reply to
John Cartmell

You *could* first try (very carefully) cutting the overlapping strip with a very sharp knife. Cut into the rise of the overlap at 45 degrees. Soak the overlapped strip and peel it off. Don't rub the paper. Roll the edge with a wooden edge roller. Let it dry. Fill any gap with a very fine filler.

Don't do it again! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Since a couple of you suggested this, this is basically what I did today. It was quite easy and effective, since the paper was still unpainted. Thanks to all who suggested it.

I won't! :-)

JimT

Reply to
Jim T

Can I ask why, when you didn't know what to do, you didn't ask on here first !

Not much of a consolation, clearly, but better than doing the work twice !

Rgds

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Given the problems getting lining paper edges to meet and/or cutting them wet, this might be a good method.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What problems? Unless you're papering a really wonky wall (in which case replastering is probably a good option) lining paper is pretty easy to apply properly.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I just mixed some fine Polyfilla with emulsion paint (+water) to fill the odd fine line cracks between my lining paper. Let dry, sand lightly and two coats of emulsion and can't see the joints at all.

Reply to
Ian_m

Exactly. It might just be easier than re-plastering

Reply to
Stuart Noble