Do you need to "prime" lining paper in any way?

Having recently lined much of the living room in preparation for painting over with emulsion, I'm not sure if the 1000 grade lining paper now hung needs to be primed in any way?

I've been advised that at the very least, the paper will absorb huge quantities of paint - and to buy enough paint for at least 3 coats.

Does the lining paper need to be "primed" in anyway beforehand, before applying emulsion paint?

All help gratefully received!

Reply to
Crash Test

The easiest way and the way professionals would deal with it is to water down the first coat by 10% then apply tow full coats on top. The watered down coat is easier to apply and seals the paper. If you are using a light coloured emulsion then use a cheaper white or very light emulsion you already have

Reply to
Mike Taylor

All I do is to give it a first coat of brilliant white matt emulsion - it can absorb as much of this as it wants as far as I am concerned, because whatever goes over the top of it will doubtless be much more expensive.

I don't water it down because this just makes application a much more messy business, and just use my normal brand - Leyland trade.

I don't really fret that I could shave an additional couple of quid by going with an el-cheapo brand (though I am told by decorator in the family that Wickes own brand trade brill white is quite good stuff) 'cos if I've been instructed by SWMBO that £ouch-a-tin Farrow & Ball is the ONLY colour she can live with then I really don't want to find out down the line that the longevity of the base coat isn't up to much.

Reply to
RichardS