Gas Hob With Lid

I am looking for a supplier of a stainless steel gas hob with a fitted glass lid (that turns off the gas when closed). I know that these beasts where common a few years ago but at the moment I can't seem to find one (found a brown one but I have been told that is its totally unsuitable as it's the wrong colour). I'm just looking for the hob as I have a new-ish oven If anyone knows of a supplier/manufactures order code, I would be very grateful. TIA Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Not sure about hobs with glass lids. Cookers with glass lids are a different matter (we have one). With a cooker, the burners etc., can be at a height below the level of the work surface so that the lid (when closed) continues the work surface from one side to the other. With a hob, you would normally end up with a glass lid a bit in the air, which wouldn't be so popular (IMHO), or look so nice.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great if the hob is in front of the window as it keeps the blinds clean.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Fair enough, but the question is: is this a popular enough requirement to make it worth making?

You could consider the alternative of a slide in cooker, which you can get plenty of with glass lids, but they're not as neat looking as a built in separate hob and presumably would blow your kitchen design out of the water?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Andrew Carr" wrote | Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great | if the hob is in front of the window as it keeps the blinds clean.

Ar, then what you want is a glass splashback and not a hob with a glass lid.

Piece of metal U-channel screwed to the worktop behind the hob, and piece of heat resistant toughened glass (eg oven inner door from scrappy) put into it and held with silicone.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have seen a hob with lids - and the model I had did have an interlock. Can remeber the comlour but it was darkish IIRC. There are also cookers and likely hobs around with lids which are not interlocked - you simply don't need to be stupid when using them! Perhaps that would extend your range of options.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"Bob Mannix" wrote in news:cnsptm$u0c$ snipped-for-privacy@blackmamba.itd.rl.ac.uk:

I found it impossible to get one of these a couple of years ago; I wanted one like 'er next door's, but asked everywhere and failed.

I wanted it mainly for safety, neatness when out of use, and splashback.

Couldn't believe that such a sensible thing had been discontinued

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I just tried a google search on "glass lid hob" and found quite a few.

Ah, you can't do a google search for "glass lid hob like 'ers next door"

Well I don't believe they have!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

IIRC Gas hobs in front of windows are a no no WRT the regs.

Reply to
Zikki Malambo

I beleive the normative document governing the installation of cookers uses 'should not' rather than 'must not'.

Anyone got BS 6172?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Which reg is that ?