Washing machine, not broken but....

... leaving detergent stains on clothes. This is at 45 degree wash. We've tried different detergents (bio/non-bio/drawer/non-drawer) all leave the same white powdery deposits. I've run the machine at a 90 degree wash cycle with calgon and some detergent in, but it made no difference. it's a 7 year old Candy, I can't find any filters etc to clean.

Anybody got any tips? Seems a bit extreme to buy a new one just for this but the SO is getting mightily fed up.

Thanks

Reply to
mike. buckley

are you sure it isn't grease stains?, this is a common sign of the drum bearings having play. with the drum empty, hold the drum edge and gently try and lift the drum up, if you can feel play then the bearings are starting to go. (about right sort of time by the age of the machine)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , mrcheerful . writes

I don't think so, these are white and almost powdery, with a bit of effort you can brush them out, although it's a lot easier to just bung the clothes in the next wash. The machine has had a very easy life, but, I guess as things go it was only 170 quid and that's not too bad for 7 years. Prefer to find a fix and keep it though.

I'll check the bearings later just in case.

Reply to
mike. buckley

Mike, I had a similar problem. I thought probably due to undissolved powder when running a cool wash. Check the water is heating up OK and it helps to run a really hot cycle with no washing or powder once in a while to clean it out.

Having said that, I found the best solution was to switch to liquid detergent!

Cheers Keith

Reply to
Keith Oliver

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:40:21 +0000, "mike. buckley" squeezed out the following:

Tell her to stick to leather. Sensible policies for a better Britain!

Reply to
Colin Irvine

Could it be hard water deposits? Perhaps the element is caked in the stuff, and some comes away each time you use it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Keith Oliver writes

Ahh, hmm that sounds feasible - we'll try that.

Reply to
mike. buckley

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Could be - are these easy to remove? Having had a look at the back of it there basically just seems to be the drum and the motor, didn't really see where the element was.

Reply to
mike. buckley

In message , Colin Irvine writes

heh, thanks, I'll pass it on. She's not been for a ride since I sold the Cat though, she doesn't like the RD much. Keep thinking of a bandit 12 or something, but been too busy with the house this year.

Reply to
mike. buckley