Replacement for Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles ?

I am having to remove a perfectly good ceiling of polystyrene ceiling tiles in a flat as they are not allowed nowadays for let properties.

Presumably the previous owner put them up to cover a less than perfect ceiling (though maybe not as they are of a nice sculpted design and actually don't look too bad)

Taking them down will at the least make a mess where the glue is - so is there a modern replacement tile that could be stuck up where they were but is not inflamable ?

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What about having it reskimmed?

I put up polystyrene ceiling tiles in a room in my parents' house in early 1970's. This was done because the room was cold, not because of any damage to ceiling. Room was part of a single floor extension and the only insulation was foil backed plasterboard, and the outer strawboard surface. When my parents had it redecorated, the decorator tried taking a tile down, but as they had been put up properly by me (fully glued, not just 4 dabs), he said it would be cheaper to take the ceiling down, which also enabled proper insulation to be put in above it. In a DIY situation where time isn't money, you might be able to clean up the existing ceiling enough to just have it reskimmed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew (G),

No that's not an option really on cost grounds - it'll probably end up having polyfilla making good the damage and a coat of paint and not look anything like as good as it does now, but in the very unlikely event of a fire the dear tenents will at least not be showered with molten polystyrene.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I did my kitchen, 4 years ago, and the tiles and adhesive cost around GBP150 for about 10 square metres. I guess it could have been cheaper to have it re-plastered, it would have been the only option if I hadn't wanted any tiles at all.

If I hadn't done a similar job some years ago, I would have been discouraged by stockists who told me that no suitable products were available. They were, after much searching..

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You sound like the kind of moron who is likely to supply their tennants with dangerous heating equiptment too. I hope the ones you get in next have an inspector look at any gas equiptment you have supplied and make you pay for substandard fittings being upgraded.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

(If there is a need that is.)

I'm sorry that sounded sharper than I intended but a polystyrene fire is a nasty way to die. It's been illegal for years and there has been plenty of info about that sort of thing. Get a look at flash over fires in safety videos and see if you feel the same way about it afterwards.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

That seems to me a totally unwarranted rudeness in the circumstances. The reskimming of a ceiling in a room whose decorations, carpets etc are otherwise in excellent condition is certainly not practical on ecconomic grounds, whereas pollyfill & paint can be done (with care).

What connection this has with gas appliances I'm not sure however for your information I have myself passed the ACOPS tests for CORGI registration but choose to have all my premises certified as required by an independant Corgi organisation to ensure that there is no conflict of interest where safety is concerned.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

At no stage have I questioned the need to remove the polystyrene tiles - my posting was to find if there were alternatives to solve the expected decorating problem once they were removed.

And yes, I did take offence at your rude reply.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No harm done then. Try artexing the ceilings. Put it on with a thin pile paint roller if the lumps are not too bad, thick pile if they are. It will take an hour or so per room.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Read the OP! He did say he's removing the tiles, so why such a rude response?

Reply to
Andrew

Blown vinyl paper before the paint covers a multitude of lumps and bumps.

Reply to
John Armstrong

OH YES THEY WILL!

I've been a firefighter for 22 years. These tiles drip molten plastic all over the shop and are lethal. Also they spread the fire very quickly. Get rid, now.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Damn, just read the rest of the thread. I thought you were just covering the tiles, not removing. Soz.

Reply to
Mike Barnard