OT? can drywall be used in place of suspended ceiling tiles?

Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft. suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut

2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in a suspended ceiling?? TIA

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.

I would say no, too heavy. Have you considered rather than a drop ceiling, using drywall on the ceiling? You could sandwitch rubber strips between the drywall and the joists. Then either use heavy insulation or even better, use the heavy spray expanding insulation.

I personally do not like the look of a drop ceiling. It looks too unfinished and cheap.

But that is just my opinion.

Reply to
???

Yes, you can but the suspended weight will be excessive and the cut ends will shower drywall dust. Why not use the retainer clips you can get for suspended ceilings?

Reply to
Erik

I agree that drywall would probably be too heavy for a drop ceiling, but I personally wouldn't recommend drywalling the ceiling. I agree drywalled ceilings look much better, and much more finished, but my basement ceiling was drywalled by the previous home owner. I curse and swear at that ceiling, and threaten to rip it down every time I want to run a new wire of some type. Maybe it's not so bad if you do your own wiring before putting up the drywall, but I will never buy a house with an already drywalled basement ceiling again.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

just off the top of my head, i was thinking to say drywall is funny stuff, you can leave it rapped in a wet towel over night, an virtually mold it into any shape,

take in to account, the humidity factor, as well as is there a washer, an dryer in the basement, if you do use it as tiles, either white spray paint the edges, because the chalk may crumble out as time gose by, and plus the edge's may show gray. OR, buy large poster's, of football, pool table billiards, or the ladies, and glue stick them on than, it has become the room you've always wanted.

Reply to
Gena Dahilig

Yes but you do not even have to cut them Drywall tiles are standard with a vinyl sheet over them they are used in the resturant business so they can be cleaned Check with a proffesional ceiling tile distrubuter

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

You, could go to a supplier of suspended ceilings and get the *blow proof ceiling tiles. Basically drywall that has the ends papered up to prevent dust spillage. I'm a phone and data wiring contractor, and run across these types of tiles all the time. Especially in the meat departments and such in Wal-marts, and in the kitchen areas of restaurants.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Plenty of home theater newsgroups. Here's what I did in mine.

1) Run four times as many wires as you think you'll ever need 2) Design cable runs (large conduits) in case you need more 3) Put up a product called SoundBoard first 4) Drywall the ceiling

Soundboard is amazing stuff. Our HT is in the basement under the kitchen. Really does a great job of knocking down the highs. Sub freq's are very expensive to remove, but SoundBoard does reduce them slightly.

I assume you were thinking tiles in case you needed to run more wires. My cable run took care of most of my worry.

Reply to
mttt

Another point AGAINST sheetrock ceiling - In a home theater the acoustics off of a sheetrock ceiling may be undesirable. I have seen carpet squares glued to the ceiling, open celled foam and carpet hung from a ceiling. All to prevent sound from bouncing off of to many walls. A "hard-lid" like sheetrock would only accentuate the cross sound problems.

Reply to
Erik

Michael S. wrote: : Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a : home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft. : suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random : pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut : 2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in : a suspended ceiling?? TIA

To soundproof a wall or ceiling, either use Homosote (a sound-deadening panel), or hang drywall with a metal strip whose name I can't recall. Both will basically isolate your room from the other rooms it shares joists with.

- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

This won't help if you need access above your ceiling, but if you're willing to tear out the existing grid, there is a grid available at ceiling supply houses that is made for hanging full sheets of drywall from. Its heavier than regular grid and made to accept drywall screws through the bottom. You get a nice flat ceiling without the hassle of furring out joists, and its reasonably priced.

Reply to
BUB 209