Sealing around a soil pipe through a conservatory

I have a problem with a leaking conservatory and need some advice before I tackle the suppliers (again).

My recently had a conservatory built against the back wall of my house. The wall has a soil pipe running up it so this has been boxed in and some seal ing applied between the top of the conservatory and the pipe. However, the sealing isn't working as water is appearing on the floor from where the pip e is boxed in.

They've been back once to try and fix it but it's still leaking. Having now had a closer look at what they've done, the seem to have sealed around the pipe with flashing tape (presumably the bitumen backed stuff).

Is this an appropriate way to seal it? It sounds like a bodge to me but I d on't know enough about the matter to argue with them. Any suggestions of on a more professional way to fix the leak would be gratefully received.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

You are right, it is a bodge. it needs a properly designed flashing collar.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is the soil pipe plastic (smooth) or cast iron (rough). It will have an affect on how readily it can be properly sealed I think.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's cast iron.

Reply to
matthelliwell

Searching for things is so much easier when you know what they're called. I t looks like a normal flashing collar could be fitted as it couldn't be sli pped down over the top of the pipe due to other pipes joining it. However, I've found some split ones that can be retrofitted which look like they'd d o a much better job than the current mess.

The supplier is coming around on Tuesday so I'll discuss the approach with them.

If they'd just said that they can't fit the conservatory without moving the soil pipe, I would've paid them to move it and we'd all be a lot happier.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

matthelliwell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Could you change it to plastic? More chance of a seal.

Reply to
DerbyBorn