Leak in basement around PVC pipe through foundation

I have a large diameter PVC pipe which exits my basement for the septic.

When it rains it leaks around the pipe. The pipe looks like it was sealed with concrete. I am assuming I will need to chip this concrete out from around the pipe.

But, what type of sealer should I use on the pipe?

Reply to
theedudenator

how deep is it from the outside?

I would try to improve outdoor drainage, do gutters downspout etc dump water in this area

Reply to
hallerb

It is about 3 feet down.

I have been working on the grading and gutters, I thought I had it all fixed now.

Reply to
theedudenator

It is about 3 feet down.

I have been working on the grading and gutters, I thought I had it all fixed now.

______________________________

Dig around the pipe outside the house to expose it, surround the pipe/foundation interface with tar, cover the tarred area with an insulating layer (such as a board), then refill.

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

If it is only 3 feet, I would definitely dig from the outside as well, and redo the sealing there, too. If possible, you want to keep the water outside the (usually black tarry stuff) water seal on the outside of the basement wall. If you just redo the inside, that may slow it down, but if water is still getting into the wall (especially if it is a block wall), you will likely get leaks, or that white crusty stuff, elsewhere. How long are your arms? You may not have to dig a very big hole- just need to expose all the way around the pipe, far enough to brush all the dirt off, and apply the new goop. Good idea to eyeball the pipe, and maybe drop some food coloring down the toilet, just to make sure the pipe didn't frost-heave and crack, and that sewage isn't leaking back in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

This is a poured concrete wall. I will have to see what it will take to dig down.

Reply to
theedudenator

I spent more time looking today. The back yard patio is poured over the pipe in this location. BUT there is a large pipe opening with no cover sticking out of the poured concrete. I wonder if it is leaking around the base of this pipe? I don't even know what this pipe is for.

Reply to
theedudenator

Is the top of the pipe threaded? If so, it is probably a cleanout port. If not threaded, so kind of air vent. (I'm no septic expert, somebody will jump in shortly...)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I looks like a poor attempt of a vent. I am not sure if a vent is needed here.. The clean-out is on the inside of the house.

Reply to
theedudenator