Soil pipe across/through Joist

Hi

I and wanting to get a 100mm soil pipe across/through a 215mm floor joist.

Is there any way of replacing part of the joist with structural metalwork or an "I - Joist" ? to allow this.

Ceiling is lathe & plaster - house around 1800 !

Thanks

Robert

royall (at)which(dot)net royall at which net

Reply to
look

Robert

Contact the TJI, Masonite "I" beam makers. With having 50mm either side, I would say it is tight if it is at all possible.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

A solution that can work is to cut the joist in question (stick an Acrow under it first!), hang a stringer joist between the two either side of the cut one, and then hang the cut end on the stringer. Works best when close to the wall otherwise you need to repeat for both cut ends.

Vis:

------------------------

------------------------

------------------------ X P

------------------------

------------------------

------------------------

P = place where pipe needs to pass through X = cut (chainsaw - seriously!)

Take care to prise the section of jost at P away from the ceiling below it - the laths will be nailed to it!

Becomes:

------------------------

------------------------ | H | | | | | | |

------------| | H| S |

------------| | | | | | | | | H |

------------------------

------------------------

S = Stringer joist H = Joist hanger

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John for the diagram unfortunately - I knew I should have explained the full scenario- sorry - I am trying to get the soil pipe across 1 joist to reach an internal vertical stack in a corner. I could drop it below the ceiling and box it in but this solution does not find favour with my wife who is charge of design !

Being a terraced house - listed- I only have the back wall to exit- joists all run the wrong way - and a chimney breast in the way making an above floor option difficult - or this internal stack which creates a false arch in the rather nice through hall below.

I now realise why the bathroom was installed where it was.

I suppose one cant replace the stringer with some heavy duty steel "U" shape pieces joining the joists together ?

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look

course you can, or use wood - but if its listed this would be a criminal act.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

So:

=============================# Back Wall # ========================# # | # # | stack # S # |_______# i #

------------------------# d # Joist A # e #

------------------------# # # W # # a # # l #

------------------------# l # Joist B # #

------------------------# #

And you want a pipe through the end of A for example?

No idea about the implications of it being listed, but structurally:

=============================# Back Wall # ========================# # |S | | # # | | | stack # S # | | |_______# i #

-----------| | # d # Joist |H | # e #

-----------| | # # | | # W # | | # a # |H | # l #

------------------------# l # Joist B # #

------------------------# #

Same idea with a stringer from B at one end to the back wall at the other. It would be hung from a joist hanger H at the joist end, and in a heavey shoe S bolted to the wall. The cut end of joist A being supported in a hanger on the stringer.

Or are you talking about needing to run the pipe along two axis?

Reply to
John Rumm

This has made me create one of these diagrams!

This all at 1st floor level.

----------------------------# Joist A # S

----------------------------# i # d # e #

----------------------------# W Joist B # a

----------------------------# l

Reply to
look

OK try this....

----------------------------# Joist A # S

----------------------------# i # d # e 1 #

------------| | # W Joist B| | # a

------------| | # l

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John for all your effort and suggestions

I hadnt considered doing away with 2metres of joist, but bolting as in

1 will probably work ( wall goes right up through house).

Am also investigation I beams - Masonite a 200mm deep one will take a

100mm hole through the middle (web).

As long as I can see at least 1 option I can go ahead with further planning . I am trying to create a sensible and easy way for all the services to be rerouted through the house between the 3 floors with minimum change to the structure and to allow staging of the work.

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look

Sounds like a toss-up between unsightly boxing in and the dreaded Saniflo.

Reply to
Stuart Noble