Soil pipe..

We had two quotes for work refitting our bathroom and adjacent separate toilet. One involved replacing the existing internal cast-iron soil pipe with a new external pipe and the other did not (suggested by the second person to quote). Clearly not removing the existing SP is easiest, but making the change is preferable for several reasons and obviously involves different routing of pipes, connection to the drains and removal of the old pipe.

The difference between the quotes was over 3K.

I thought I'd ask if anyone can advise how difficult this might be? As a layman and not an enthusiastic DIYer, I can't see it being too tricky, but you guys might think differently.

The existing soil pipe runs vertically from roof (it goes through the roof space and out through the tiles), through the bathroom and down into the kitchen. The WC is adjacent to the bathroom and the waste pipe must run between the two rooms via the floor space.

The SP is not visible in the WC - it emerges from the floorboards. In the kitchen and bathroom it's boxed in. In the bathroom the bath and sink must feed into it (the pipes enter the boxwork around the pipe).

The house was built in the 60's. I've no idea how the SP is coupled to the outside pipework, which I'd assume are clay pipes. I'd imagine I'd be looking at fitting a new bend/junction to replace the pipe as it currently enters the house and attaching a new vertical pipe to that. The pipe would continue vertically upwards where it would meet the roof and I'd either have to run it through the roof (there's an overhang) or around the roof (ugly).

To meet the toilet, I'd need to have a horizontal(ish) section of a few feet to go into the separate WC. The bath and sink waste could exit directly through the exterior wall and feed into the soil pipe, rather that running around inside the bathroom as at present.

In terms of logistics, I would imagine that I could dig out the area around the existing soil pipe to ensure I had the correct connections.

On the day of the replacement, I could fit the exterior soil pipe, run the soil into the WC and fit the new WC. I would have to remove at least part of the existing SP to do that (the part that connects the current WC to the soil pipe).

I could reroute the existing bathroom waste into the new soil pipe (I guess I could do that partly in advance - we have an exterior drain, so a long pipe would do the job until I set up the new SP properly).

Next would be extending the SP through or around the roof. Connecting up the sink/bath waste to the new soil pipe and finally removing the old pipe.

I suspect that removing the old pipe might be a bit of fun. I'll need to replace some roof times to sort out the hole that would be left.

Anyone already done all this? Is it really difficult? How long did it take? Any good reference sites/materials to advise on this work?

Should I just cough up?

I'm not an enthusiastic DIYer, about as enthusiastic as the builders that take weeks to come up with quotes.. and wondering if this can really be 3K worth of work..

..however, In a week or so I'm off on a bricklaying course to see if I can do some work myself (extend the garage, do a new garden wall, etc..).

I await responses with trepidation!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

This job requires a lot of work to do and although probably not too difficult, it would take around 3 days to complete. Why re route it? Unless you are totally changing the layout of the bathroom and it would be too difficult to get to the existing pipe, leave it where it is. Tam

Reply to
Tam

The bathroom is small and the boxing around the pipe uses a lot of space and also results in a dead space - a small alcove. It would make a big difference if it were gone. We've also been told that the installation of the new bath will be higher than need be, so that the existing waste from the bath can be used - currently it runs along the wall into the boxing and that height can't be changed with a cast-iron pipe. Consequently the new bath installation will be much higher than need be (the current bath is a pleasant avacado, with the bath lifted on wooden blocks). We'd also be looking at boxing in the existing pipework. With an external soil pipe we could move the existing sink over. The bathroom would certainly be more roomy than it is now and uncluttered with pipes and boxwork.

The more modern WC should sit closer to the wall, but can't with the existing cast-iron fitting, so boxwork would be required to use the existing pipe and fill in the gap between the WC and the wall..

Finally, it would remove the boxwork in the kitchen too, so that when the kitchen is re-fitted, it will be a much easier job without the existing boxwork getting in the way of cupboards and appliances.

I'm trying to get some more builders quotes, but getting them is a long drawn-out business, let alone being able to afford them and actually get things done!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Go with altering it then. 3K extra seems excessive just for that to be the only difference in work. Depends on how it was priced and what was included, making good etc. Were the jobs priced similarly, ie same spec on both quotes only 1 included re routing the pipe. If so then ask the other guy to quote moving the pipe too, or get another contractor to price also. That will give you a better idea of the true cost. Tam

Reply to
Denise McDonald