Leaking WC connector

Just replaced a leaking WC connector using one of these things:

)

However, there still seems to be a slight drip getting bast the rubber fins ie at the 'male' end of the connector. I followed the instructions which said to use water rather than grease to aid assembly (against my better judgement, TBH); would people agree with that?

When I dismantle it tomorrow, would I be better off smearing everything with silicone grease, as I would for push-fit waste pipes?

Thanks

Reply to
Lobster

Washing up liquid?

Reply to
GB

There is proably some roughness on the inside of the pipe. Needs smoothing with fine glasspaper. Or sometimes there are axial scoremarks on pipe inside. If so I have used silicon in the past.

Reply to
harryagain

Another possibility is that the pipe is sloping towards the pan and a puddle of water is accumulating behind the fins on the connector instead of draining away.

Reply to
harryagain

+1, or wet soap.

You want something that washes away so the joint isn't slippery forever. Grease (or silicone libricant) will stay and make the joint move around, which after a while can cause a leak. Grease will rot some types of rubber too.

Use silcone where you want a joint to remain movable; guttering, and other PVC pipe where you want the joint to slide with expansion.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel