need advice fitting electrical sockets

Going to upgrade all the single sockets in the house to doubles, I've ordered the parts from Screwfix, the wall inserts etc. thing is I've never done this drilling into walls and chiseling out thing, is it easy to get a good fit? I've ordered a masonry drill bit and a 1 inch cold chisel do you think that will be suitable for the job?

Reply to
Marvin

I'm not sure what it is called - but I got this neat (cheap) plastic tool from a DIY barn that does the job brilliantly. It consists of a block of tubes that outline a single and double socket plus more tubes that go diagonally across the centre(s). It comes with a drill bit with an adjustable stop.

You just set the stop, position the tool where you want the socket and drill down each tube for the outline you want..It is then a doddle to break out the material between the holes. Result, perfect hole to an even depth each time.

I've been trying to find them on the internet for you, without success - maybe someone with better searching skills than I can find one!

It really works incredibly well and is the nearest thing to idiot proof.

Reply to
Palindrome

You could have saved yourself so much mess and trouble by using these babies:

Take old single socket off wall, insert and tighten wires and screw onto original single box. Easy peasy and jobs a goodun !

Reply to
the_constructor

This is an excellent method of converting single to a double socket, although one or more of the connecting wires may need to be extended. This can be done with crimp connectors, preferably made off with a decent ratchet crimping tool. Still much cheaper and easier than fitting new double wall boxes and sockets.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

How is it cheaper? The parts are about the same price.

Reply to
Marvin

It will be cheaper when you do not have to buy filler and paint. The chances of changing a single backbox to a double without any damage is quite low.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have a question how do you attach the backboxes into the wall so they dont fall out? They dont seem to come with screws.

Reply to
Marvin

Please tell me you are not serious. If you are then for a brick wall try red wall plugs such as

a 5.5mm hole made with a 5.5mm masonry bit in a hammer action drill and use some 1 1/2" no. 8 screws.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ok thanks, yes I am serious, not done much stuff like this before.

Reply to
Marvin

Dont forget to turn off the power.

Reply to
JBT

Don't forget that you will need metal AND dry lining back boxes (for plasterboard walls). Also the wiring may still require extending. I would still go for the Screwfix conversion kit. £3.49 (or £2.99 if bought in fives) is a bargain. Additionally, no removal of old wall box, no drilling or chiselling out, no plugs & screws, no making good. I've converted using both methods and believe me, the conversion kit is a no-brainer - it's a ten minute job.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

One thing to watch for are thin walls. The drill bit pops out in the adjacent room.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth