Fitting a socket for electric fire

Got a fireplace being installed in a few weeks (limestone thing - SWMBO has sorted it) so I've now got the job of sorting out power for the electric fire that will be fitted in it...

Fire comes with a normal 13A plug - and obviously don't want a wire trailing around the front so I was thinking of spurring form the socket that is on the outside of the chimney breast and going straight through the wall to a socket *inside* the old fireplace.

That would be neat, and fairly easy. I was thinking of running it from a switch fused spur next to the existing sockets, through the chimney and straight into the back of a new unswitched socket - possibly an external rated one to be sure (something like

the fireplace).

Only reason to use something a bit better than a normal socket is that it's a bit dusty in there - nothing major (it's been open for over a year while I hunted for a round tuit and the front room hasn't filled with dust :-)).

Does this plan sound ok? Any better ideas? I could fit a cable outlet instead of a socket I guess but then I'd have to chop off the plug which I'd rather not do if poss.

Given the fire just stands in the hole it's not as if the socket will be inaccessable.

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Instead of drilling a hole in the wall to take a lead to a spur which is next to existing sockets why not just fit a longer lead on the fire, run the lead through the hole you've drilled in the wall and fit a plug on it afterwards ?

michael adams

michael adams

In message , michael adams writes

When I did mine I had the fused spur on the outside of the fireplace and ran the lead from the fire into the back of it through a hole in the brickwork. No need then for anything extra in the fireplace. No wires visible at all.

Reply to
Bill

Is the fire actually ever going to be switched on?

Otherwise sounds reasonable to me.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sounds perfectly reasonable and your choice of socket will ensure no problems from sparging or water coming down the chimney under extreme conditions. Do check your earth loop continuity after installing wont you

Reply to
cynic

Just wot I did. Easier (and cheaper TBH) than a waterproof socket inside the fireplace. (Got tested as part of the whole house inspection by an electrician and passed no problems)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Good good. I'll probably go with the socket in the fireplace anyway as a) I've already got a spare MK external socket and b) I'm not sure the cable on the fire would be long enough (if I've got to add an extension to the cable I may as well used fixed wiring for it).

Cheers all,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman