USB boiler connection.

Most modern boilers are microprocessor controlled. I have a Viessmann which is. But to alter anything requires multiple key presses etc. Most people have a laptop these days so a USB or whatever link to suitable software on that would make things so much easier to set up. Does anyone make such a device?

That's how it's done on an aftermarket engine management system (MegaSquirt)I have on the old car, and in many ways engine management and a boiler are similar. Indeed, I reckon a MegaSquirt could be used to do the entire control of a system boiler since it's so flexible. So it can't really be a cost issue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you really think that any boiler manufacturer wants you to go anywhere nearer their boiler than to turn it on or change the temperature ?

You're a member of the public - you're obviously not competent to even take the front cover off without paying for your GasSafe registration

Most modern boiler pcbs do have a serial link for diagnostic purposes

Reply to
geoff

Think that is an excellent idea, and not just for boilers.

We have seen threads about programming CH and other timers. Even the programs for bread makers, microwaves and all sorts of semi-intelligent equipment. The standard ought to be a USB-pluggable chip or direct USB connection of the device. Then we might actually be able to make them do what we want - not just accept the limited programming options supplied. Also overcome many of the issues of access. It might just be possible to achieve access for almost everyone with a computer-connected device - but never could you get near with a simple device having very awkward interface options such as you described and we have all come across.

Just make sure the USB approach doesn't only work with Windows...

Reply to
Rod

The standard fallback configuration method for a lot of (IT) kit is serial with a simple terminal interface (VT100 maybe), and that's friendly with any OS you like.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Good idea. I'd love it if my glass fusing kiln could 'talk usb'. Seems most kiln controllers I've seen have a three-key interface and a single-line alpha-nummeric display - whereas it'd make life a lot simpler if there was a graphical interface.

When fusing glass you need to set various profiles of time vs. temperature, with 'holds' at certain points - be a doddle with a click/drag/mouse-type interface.....

I'd considered making a bolt-on pic-based thingy..... it's on my list - waiting til CPC deliver the box of round-tuits

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I agree it would be useful to get information and control the boiler remotely. I have a Worcester 30CDi (for central heating) which I installed in the cellar, and I've often thought it would be useful to set the water temperature and look at it's operating conditions from a PC in the house. My preference would be an Ethernet interface so I could connect it up to the Ethernet switch we have in the cellar. The

30CDi has a quite comprehensive service manual that has information on the various codes read on the digital display, but you have to be in front of the appliance to get that diagnostic information and it is very cryptic. It would be great to access all that information through a Windows interface.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Not even thinking of that. Just simple things like changing the time it comes on, etc. Or to set the holiday program and so on. But the Viessmann already allows you to change *anything* - if you have the instructions. It's all done via the programmer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

No.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The MegaSquirt uses a serial connection, as does the wideband O2 sensor adaptor I'm using. Sadly I doubt you'll find a laptop with one these days and the USB to serial adaptors are rather hit or miss.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Panasonic CF52, any laptop with PC or Express card, Some Dells, Some HP models.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And by preference ethernet not crappy USB that can only go 5m before it needs an active repeater and you can only have 5 of them. A maximum range of 30m isn't very far when running cables out of sight around a house.

I would assume what was really meant was a web interface not a proprietary window application.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was the standard but modern systems don't have a serial port. But Ethernet network ports are now pretty much standard.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:43:33 +0000, Bernard Peek wibbled:

Still is the standard on a great deal of modern gear. Every hardware RAID array, every high end network switch and even my Samsung TV (which may run linux internally - have to check one day) have RS232 ports.

The lack of one on a modern PC is easily solved with a USB-serial adaptor (caveats apply where strict timings were required like certain old style chip programmers).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I recall going to a launch presentation of the CDi and was told that worcester service men could talk to the processor with a laptop but the comms software would not be released outside the company. Consequently I never ever considered installing one of that family!

Reply to
cynic

Exactly. USB or Ethernet connection. Instead of crouching in a semi-dark cupboard, pressing the wrong button and having to start the sequence all over again. Set the programme with a web browser and use a display that shows the whole programme on screen.

Reply to
djc

Perhaps upload the interface to this group and then everyone could have a go at improving its performance. Then if is goes wrong the owner could complain to the manufacturer.

Reply to
John

Interesting. I'm pretty certain I asked here. I have no real use for a laptop so bought a secondhand old Toshiba Satellite which did have a serial port but although it was said any machine running '95 onwards would be fine, it wasn't. So I got an Acer from PC World. They didn't have any machines with serial ports. I did want it quickly, though. Took two goes to get an adaptor that worked. Strangely I seem to have fallen on my feet with the Acer which was somewhat of a bargain once I'd got the free upgrade to Win7. Of course only time will tell if it lasts. But it seems well made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I actually fitted a second programmer to the Viessmann - really for multi zone systems - so I could have the controls were they were with the old system, ie easily accessible in the kitchen. But it's still a pain of multiple button pressing to do a simple change. That's the problem with an extremely flexible system with just a small control panel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

First make I bought didn't work properly. Second one did. Bit like KVM switches. You'd think it would be simple but it's not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm pretty certain I didn't see you ask.

The Panasonics are the best of the choices IMO, but since they are MilSpec laptops they're expensive to the point that it makes your ears bleed. Since I don't have to pay for them, I don't care.

As a PC that can be used to maintain kit that has serial interfaces they are excellent.

Reply to
Steve Firth