Using combi boiler for C/H only.....

It's boiler replacement time, can I use a combi boiler for central heating only?

It's a Biasi GARDA HE, and there would be nothing connected to the dhw circuit, only the c/h.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Connolly

Don't see why not...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But, I don't 'see' why ... ; A 'combi' heater is two devices in one casing ... CH and HW. Why pay for a portion that you won't use? manufacturers produce condensing 'boilers' that only have a single system within them. why not use one of these? [You've implied that it's something you're going to purchase anyway]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Depends if he got a combi cheap because its useless for hot water...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is probably better to install the Cw feed to it and cap off the DHW outlet, just in case this affect things. If you have bought the Biasi I offer you my commiserations/condemnation. If you haven't read the Boiler Choice FAQ and think again.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That model might as well say on a sticker on the front "I was bought on price by a cheap skate whose only concern was the inital outlay". They are the first choice of a certain genre of landlord.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for all your input.

I am getting a good deal on the price of the boiler, hence my choice.

Reply to
Dave Connolly

Is this the kind with the first name of Peter?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi

Ed is extremely knowledgeable about such things and his advice in the post above is that the Biasi is a bad choice.

It may not turn out to be the bargain you think it is in the long run. Perhaps you should ask Ed to expand on his comments!

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

There is probably not a lot to choose between several of the makes at that end of the market. (Think day-glo window stickers at PMs - "Combi's (sic) from £310 !!!")[1].

If the OP is moving it could be a good choice, don't expect major spares to be much less than a half the cost of the original unit, don't expect to be able to get 'a result' on fixing it after about 8 years.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

BIASI use industry standard Italian parts. All are easily available and most of the parts are on other makes of boilers too. Fitted properly with the system cleaned and inhibitor and it will give good service. It is no Viessmann but no dog either. Correct and clean fitting is essential.

BIASI have service agents. Parts are easy to get and so is service. Many of these boilers tend to be replaced because of the low purchases cost. They can all be repaired, but why when anew one is so cheap.

BIASI do a system boiler too. The only thing I don't like about them is that they have a secondary heat exchanger on condensing boilers, as do many cheap, and not so cheap, boilers. In the non-condensing versions, fitted right they can last, and are a good buy.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I am more knowledgeable than him, and say otherwise.

Read my posts on it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't bother I'm not playing your game.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I know. Your rules are 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel