Anyone using Hive?

I want to change and resite our present programmable thermostat with a wire less type. The one I have been considering is not all that much cheaper tha n the self install version of Hive. I was wondering if anyone has any exper ience of the system and can answer a few questions.
Is the system straight forward to self install? BG's website is full of dir e warnings that it needs installing by them or an approved and qualified in staller. Is it a case of them trying to drum up business? From what I have seen of the installation information it looks pretty straight forward?
Are there any other on going costs involved? It seems to access with your p hone you need an "account" with BG. Is this access charged for other than y our phone usage? If free now is it potentially chargeable in the future?
Finally is it worth it or is it just a load of pretentious bollix and I wou ld be better sticking to what I was considering before and wait for some sm arter technology to emerge?
Richard
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 03:58:26 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky

Its worse than that, if (when) they close their server it will render your Hive useless. I built my own Smart thermostat https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/709c3u It's not perfect, but my mobile devices access it directly, no server involved.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 15/02/17 12:23, Graham. wrote:

HeatGenius can also function without a server too. I've been very pleased with their system and it is way more advanced than any of the others (in that it can control right down to individual rooms, though you don't have to).
don't understand - is the a disaster if the heating comes on when no-one is home. versus letting the house get stone cold?
On 15/02/2017 22:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

Exactly. It's a classic example of scamming the gullible that have been brainwashed into believing everything that comes through the mind-control box is truth and must be obeyed to lead a "happy life"
A more believable and useful concept would be being able to control the boiler temperature remotely not the room 'stat.... oh wait, that's already possible, fully automated without human intervention it's called "weather compensation"

My Viessmann controller allowed you to set things for a holiday long before Hive was thought of.
--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

So does my Honeywell programmable stat - which is fine if you know exactly when you'll be returning - but not very useful if you don't.
--
Cheers,
Roger

I'd think not many go on holiday without knowing more or less when they're returning. ;-)
For Hive to be worth it for me, it would have to save its cost.
(Actually it would be useless, as I don't have conventional thermostats anyway. Both room and water have sensors which go to the boiler processor.)
--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

I have on a number of occasions.

More fool you. What matters for most of us is if its useful on some occasions.

I'd doubt you could plan it to the hour - which is the point.

I'm not convinced at all about the cost savings of much of the IoT gubbins. If you rationalise it that way I think it's highly unlikely you'll adopt.
It's a convenience/gadget lust/bragging rights/techphile/high disposable income/curiosity/social-interactive thing of things.
--
Cheers, Rob

That is the point to me. BG are advertising it as something they install and you rent from them. at 9 quid a month. Or near 100 a year. That quite a lot of gas.

I love gadgets. But ain't going to buy one I really can't see a use for.
Roger has certainly made the case for one in his particular circumstances. I was hoping others might say they find it very useful - for the things it is advertised for.
--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

So not much use for drug mules then?
--
Adam

In the general case, that is true. But not always in the case of visiting my holiday flat. We generally come here for a days each month, planned in advance - in which case your solution would normally work. But we had to cancel our planned visit in February last year. If, when we left in January, we had used holiday mode to tell it to come on for the scheduled visit in February, the result would have been that it would have been on continuously until we eventually arrived in March!
I accept that our requirements are somewhat non-standard.
--
Cheers,
Roger

+1. I never have it set lower than 15degrees when we are away. the holiday mode is a great feature.

Like all these things, I think about how I'd use it if I had it. Going on the adverts.
Turn on the hot water? I do have a storage system. Which like all takes some time to heat. Which would be better - leaving it off until I remember to turn it on when out? And if I forget, come home to no hot water? If I were concerned about the running costs that much, I'd probably have a combi.
Turn the central heating up or down? My system already does that for different times of the day. And will adjust if it suddenly gets cold outside - don't they all?
Turn a light on when I'm out? Why would it suddenly occur to me that might be a good idea and why? If you think a light on when you're out is a good thing why not do it automatically?
Oh - I'm single. In the average family, would it really be a good idea having someone who is out of the house messing with things while others are in?
--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 13:28:51 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes, I could have hours of fun. :-)
Another reason why I think IP controlled appliances could be useful.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:23:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

For the £10 it cost to build, mine was worth it just as an object lesson to show people why they don't need one, and to piss off those I know who have forked out £££ on Hive's and Nest's.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Yes, there's nothing magic about a Hive. It's basically a temperature sensor, a relay, and some wireless comms. it probably has a clock so it will continue to free-run using the most recent program even if it loses contact with the server. I dare say I could have worked out a spec and built it from a kit of parts. But it's a lot of hassle and my soldering skills are very rusty (if that's the right word to describe non-ferrous solder!). The last time I tried to solder something was when I was making up a lead to attach some speakers to an Amazon Dot (mini-Echo) which has a 3.5 mm socket. I must have overheated one of the tags on the 3.5 mm plug because although there was a perfect contact from it to the far end of the cable, there was variable resistance and intermittent no contact between one of the tags and the tip or collar of the plug. Pretty crap design if normal soldering heat can break down connections within a plug. Modern lead-free solder (*) that melts at a higher temperature doesn't help :-(
(*) Somewhat akin to pork-free pigs or alcohol-free beer :-)

Spot on.