Anyone using LED lighting at home yet?

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

Reply to
me

I have a battery-powered LED taplight in the hallway closet. Does that count?

Reply to
badgolferman

I haven't used them and from what I've seen LED home lighting isn't ready for prime time. If my local Sam's has those, I'll certainly pick up a pack to fiddle with at that modest price.

Reply to
Pete C.

yeah, I am curious about them as well. Does Wally World sell them or only Sam's? I might make an exception to my "no Wal-Mart" policy (there's already one, namely motor oil - nobody else sells synthetic Delo or Rotella) to have a new toy to play with. That's comparable enough to CFLs to be worth a try.

nate

Reply to
N8N

No, its a hideously ugly bluish-white light that seems to throb at you. LED is not ready for prime time, I'd wait.

Reply to
RickH

Alot of what you see now is now is no more efficent than an incandesant bulb with poor color. They will get better fast but for now I only consider flourescents.

Reply to
ransley

Sam's here has em

The package says they use 1.5 watts but give light output of 40 watt reg bulb

Reply to
me

I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and offer long life and plenty of light. Look here:

Claude Hopper

If it realy uses 1.5 w it cant output more than a 20 w incandesant or someone invented something that will save the worlds resources, the record in labs for 1.5w might be 18w equivilant. The led is directional not like a regular bulb, think of measuring a 1.5w mini mag light, how you rate it can be deceptive. Try it in a dark room and compare it to a 40w incandesant and see how it lights the whole room, try a basement and view from a distance if you can and let us know. The best deal in easy conversion that saves are cfls that do save 75% over incandesant, as a 9w cfl =3D a 40 incandesant, and at HD here they are 1$. These are proven in Lumen output and work.

Reply to
ransley

I've been using LED flashlights for 4 years now. Like them a lot. My incandesent lamp supply is still going strong and will probably last several years before I consider LED or flourescent. I have one bulb that is over 30 years old and still burning.

Reply to
Phisherman

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Funny... many newer cars are built using LED's for the tail and brake lights and they are BLINDING compared to the incandescents they replaced.

Reply to
salty

I use 70-LED holiday light strings for night lights in 3 rooms. The one in the bathroom is all the light I usually need in there.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have an LED headlight and tail light array on my bicycle. They are bright at night.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Red, yellow leds are more efficent than the white ones by a big margin, the white ones ive seen are bluish, but my led flashlight is the best I have had and only 5$ for 9 leds.

Reply to
ransley

According to the Sam's site, it's not available in my area (N. TX)

Reply to
Pete C.

yep, there is a huge difference. The 1157 "bulb replacements" just aren't there yet.

I would really like to have LEDs for my '55 Stude because the lenses are fairly small and with a regular 1034 bulb I have concerns about other drivers seeing me in bright daylight. The only "bulb replacements" I've found that I consider acceptable were a 2W, 4-led unit that I bought from a Hong Kong based web site. They weren't cheap either, and due to their design I would not consider them acceptable for a reflector-based taillight, only one that relies heavily on Fresnel-type optics.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Night light in the bathroom? I got to have a lot of light in the bathroom. I'm paper trained, I cant eat or go to the bathroom without reading material. Of course there is always the problem of having enough light to properly aim my canon. *snicker* Well, it's what all those spam messages tell me it is.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

all new traffic lights today are LED, and nice and brite.

my LED nightlight is nearly useless:(

Reply to
hallerb

On Tue 04 Nov 2008 10:10:50p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com told us...

Maybe you should install a traffic light. :)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright