New Front Door(s)

Hi,

I want to replace the double front doors of my house. The current wood doors are 37" and 36" wide, and 80" tall. They are pretty basic doors, with no windows or panels.

I've installed plenty of doors, but not double doors. Since the cost of the doors will be relatively high, and since it has to be done right, I will have a contractor install them.

I'm looking for suggestions about what to consider when selecting doors/contractors.

Is it best to get the doors from the contractor that installs them? I know this would cost more, but will I avoid finger pointing between door manufacturer and contractor this way if problems occur down the line? Or, is installing double doors fairly straight forward, so I don't need to worry about this? Do I find a carpenter or a general contractor?

When looking for doors, what are some of the things that a novice like my self might not know to consider.

Sincerley, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Installing double doors is fairly easy. If the wall you're installing them into is plumb just make sure that one side is secured well and is vertical in the plane of the wall and vertical in the plane of the jamb.

Do the same with the other side, adjusting as needed to cause the doors to meet in the center.

Did one with my son in his house a couple of weeks ago. Took about an hour to install the door. The time is spent making sure that the opening is done right. The prep always takes longer.

Boden

Bruce wrote:

Reply to
EL

I would shy away from Home Depot, Menards type places. I have found that places that deal only in windows and doors do an great job installing.

Reply to
DonLanger

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DonLanger) on 08 Dec 2003 had this to say news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m22.aol.com:

Don,

I'd install the doors before I'd have someplace like Home Depot install them. But do you mean also don't buy from them? Would 'real' installers look askance if I bought it at Home Depot, or from someplace other than from the installers themselves?

Sincerely, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce, Most places will give you names of installers. I have found that the prices from window and door stores compare with that of the big home stores. I had double storm doors installed in September and the place i got them from (The Door Store) came to within a few dollars of Menards. The doors were cheaper but the installtion was higher and it was almost a wash.I can also tell you that Larson doors are very good.

Reply to
DonLanger