Rewiring - cost estimate

Now I know before I ask this question that the answer is "it depends", but I am hoping that someone could give me at least a vague idea about numbers before we get someone in for a formal quote
A friend has inherited part of a standard 4 bedroom detached house with garage. It was built in the early 70's and the electrics have not been touched since (still has re-wirable fuses in the CU).
I suspect that it needs all the wires replacing (currently has electric cooker but no electric shower), all faceplates and switches replacing (for cosmetic if no other reasons), CU replacing and a few extra sockets adding.
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of likely cost (£100 - obviously not, £1000 - still no, £3000 - is this getting close, £5000 - surely not).
I rewired a complete house myself in the mid 80's but with all of the new regulations probably wouldn't want to do this again, especially as this is not my house, but is there any DIY prep work that I could usefully do which might reduce the cost. I could easily remove most if not all of the old ring wiring/fittings and replace with new, leaving it to be terminated at the new CU, but would this mean anyone replacing the CU would not sign up for it?
Thanks for any advice.
--
Chris B (News)

On 15/02/17 12:31, Chris B wrote:

Does conduit exist or is this going to involve chasing all the walls? If so, tell them to use conduit (20mm oval will take up to 2.5mm2 cables with little extra chasing).
On 15/02/2017 13:15, Tim Watts wrote:

Don't know the answer to that one - havn't really inspected it in that much detail yet.
--
Chris B (News)

To be honest our house was done in the 70s, and looking at some of thewiring, pvc covered in most places it still looks good, so unless there is some strange fault or other mitigating circumstance, could one just not do the Cu and fixtures and fittings on the old wiring after a cursory inspection for gotchas? If I look at ours we replaced the fuses with breakers, but nowadays a more techy type of protection should be used no doubt but apart from that.... Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff expressed precisely :

Ours was done around 1983, since when I found it necessary to add numerous extra sockets and a few lights, a higher power shower. Were I wanting what I have now installed, I would likely be thinking of a bottom up refurb.
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:12:58 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

iring,

he Cu

for

more

.

You can't always judge the state of eth wiring by a limited inspection. Th e house I bought 10 year ago (and still live in) seemed to have been thorou ghly rewired in the 1980s with PVC covered red/black cable which was in goo d condition. But the old lead-covered wiring had simply been left in place . When I started tidying up and removing the lead stuff I found that the p revious owner has reconnected some of it to the new wiring (presumably to g et more sockets and bits of it were therefore live.
At that point I stopped fiddling with it and decided to have it all redone.
To answer the original question, it cost several thousand (3 bed end terrac e, reputable firm).
Robert
On 17/02/2017 20:03, RobertL wrote:

Did it "bite you":-)?
I remember grabbing hold of some lead covered stuff a few years ago. I was the earth.
--
Adam

The lead sheathing was all earthed here. Achieved by bonding with wire wrapping. And to the lead incoming water pipe.
Never did check how well that worked. Had two weeks to do a basic re-wire for the mortgage conditions. So a very quick rip out of it all.
--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*

RobertL explained on 17/02/2017 :

What was ripped completely out in around 1983, was PVC of maybe the 1960's. Obviously it didn't have any earth wires on the lighting circuits and few 13a sockets, indoor meter and . Correct those cables were in good order, but not worth keeping with such a lot needing to be changed/ upgraded.

Unless things have been badly bodged, there's a good chance the wiring is still in perfectly serviceable condition.
--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

How long does the PVC insulation last?
On 15/02/2017 13:53, GB wrote:

http://www.basec.org.uk/News/Basec-News/Life-Expectancy-of-Cables
And I expect they are naturally cautious. (I was up close and person last year to 2.5mm T&E installed under floors over 30 years ago. After wiping off the dust if look and felt like new.)
--
Robin

Yeah, mine was done more than 45 years ago now, and the bulk of it is immediately under the metal decking roof with the ceiling insulated so it gets well over 50C there most days in the summer. Its as good as new once you wipe the dust off, even when reterminating something so you can see if the PVC has gone brittle. It hasn’t.

My parents' house was built in the 1950's but fortunately using PVC T&E and 13A sockets (not all were at that time). The original cable is still fine. The switches and sockets have been gradually replaced as rooms have been decorated (and more fitted), but very few actually needed this - the original MK ones were mostly still in good condition, but not suitable for modern styles. The fusebox was replaced, and the one original ring circuit split into three, main earthing updated, etc.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I re-wired this house in the '70s, and there's no sign of deterioration anywhere. A couple of years ago, I did a pretty major refurkle of one room which involved quite a bit of electrics, and the original wiring was still fine. If the PVC had suffered, I'd assume it would go brittle.
Might be different on any wiring exposed to the sun, etc.
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

GB explained on 15/02/2017 :

Usually forever, providing it was properly installed, not overloaded, or otherwise damaged, there are no botches and it has proper earth wires included.
I would guess at £2000 to £5000, but much depends on what extras might be needed beyond the basics. Best to get network cable installed at the same time if they might be needed, plus TV/satellite cables too.
Worth deciding exactly what you want, then getting three quotes and making sure they have Part P qualification, can prove it and can provide references too.
On 15/02/17 13:53, GB wrote:

I have seen PVC exposed to sunlight be rubbish in less than 5 years. Conversely I've seen 70's PVC cable still in perfect nick.

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 15:29:02 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and better than the crap sold nowadays.
Even comes in proper colours too :-)
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Hmm.. I have lots of red and black 1.5 and 2.5 tw+e in a tasteful white pvc:-) Once used but carefully gathered.
--
Tim Lamb

On 15/02/2017 18:33, Tim Lamb wrote:

Useful for all sorts of things. Holding bundles of wood together, for example.