Ferrules for Stainless wire.

I am connecting 1mm stainless wire to stainless screw hooks/loops in the garden. I want to make small loops in the wire. I am getting some copper ferrules to do the job. I have a crimping tool for electrical connections: could I use that to crimp the ferrules or even a pair of decent pliers. Strength of the joint in not an issue.

Reply to
Tim

You need something that will crimp a near figure 8 profile to grip both wires. Pliers are likely to only give line contact grip on each wire but a std electrical crimp tool for the red/blue/yellow crimps might give a better result. If you have the decent ratchet type, make sure you find out how to use the ratchet release mechanism first as you might find the tool won't crimp fully and hence not release automatically.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I did something like this years ago using ~ 20 mm lengths of 1/8 inch copper tube. While figure of eight is ideal, with a bit more length than a standard ferrule it should work (assuming you are not loading to near the ultimate strength of the wire). I think I crimped with a mole wrench (which can apply a *lot* of force).

Reply to
newshound

Toolstation do ferrules and clamp grips for that sort of wire...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not Toolstation, but here are some anglers' ones for 1 mm wire, presumably single strand.

I've seen "figure of 8" aluminium crimps for stranded wire down to about

3 mm diameter. Try ships' chandlers.
Reply to
newshound

There was something on telly called Gripples - they might be of use. I don't know if there's a stainless one.

Reply to
PeterC

[Thread-crossing alert] Adam's apprentices know where to find the videos of attractive young ladies demonstrating them...
Reply to
mark.bluemel

Those are for fencing wire. Rather larger than 1 mm.

Reply to
newshound