crimp connections for 110v wiring

I need some wiring advice. I have managed to survive until now just using wire nuts for my home projects, but I am at the point where it would be nice to use crimp connections in a switch or outlet box, connecting 14 or 12 ga copper wire.

Here's my question. When I go to Home Depot, all they carry for crimp sleeves appear to be made out of copper or some copper alloy. Anyway, these sleeves are pretty soft. They deform pretty easily (too easily, I imagine), and they fail my pull test. To top it off, the crimping tools at HD are pretty cheesy.

My only experience crimping wire is non-electrical, but there you use a "swaging tool" and a steel crimp sleeve. Once it's set properly, it's almost as strong as the wire.

So far, I've just been staying away from electrical crimping, as I don't want to burn the house down, but it would be very useful to be able to do some safe crimp connections.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Reply to
Mr_bill

Good policy. Crimps are only listed if you use the right tool and use it properly. A good crimping tool is usually in the $50 and up range and it is only listed for that particular style of terminal. The rings are crap on a par with backstab receptacles..

Reply to
gfretwell

You figured out the problem right away: It's difficult to find a crimping tool that's not useless. The ones at Home Depot and many other home centers are simply crap. They flatten the connector, instead of shaping it. Whoever designed these tools was sort of just kidding around. Stupid, in other words.

This is a proper design:

I have an older version from 20 years ago. You place the connector into the appropriate groove in the jaw, based on the size of the connector. The groove keeps the connector from being flattened. The tooth creates a concave dimple which really grips the wire nicely. I can't pull apart the crimp connections I make with this tool.

If you have an electrical supply store where you live, you might check them out for tools like this. I can't imagine Mac Tools is the only company that makes such a thing. If you can't find one at a retail store, contact Mac Tools customer service and find out who owns tool trucks in your area. Bring some of the actual crimps you'll be using and make sure they fit the tool correctly.

When you're deciding where to actually use crimps, be sure to keep in mind whether you or someone else may have to go back into a particular electric box and change the wiring. You'll usually have to cut away an existing crimp, and if the wires are already too short, things can get ugly for a number of reasons. If you're doing new circuit work, you have the option of leaving extra wire, but that's not always the case.

Side issue: If you ever see Panduit wire ties available, probably at an electric/electronics dealer, buy some. You'll never buy the ones from Home Depot or Lowe's again. Smooth....really smooth.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Some heaters come with crimped wire connections. I assume they have a pretty good tool. I've seen them turn black after a few years. It looked to me like they were burnt. Just because something is approved, doesn't mean it's safe.

Reply to
Bob

It means the manufacturer used lousy crimp connectors. It's not easy to find the good ones. The solid colored ones that you see in most places tend to be cheaper, and turn brittle easily especially when exposed to high temperatures. Then, there are the translucent ones - same color codes as the others, but much more flexible at a wide range of temperatures. I wish I recalled the brand. The wires will melt before those crimps will cause problems.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you're gonna make crimp connections, like gfretw said, use a decent crimping tool or forget it.

Try this:

volts500

I use crimp connectors for my job, they fail a LOT.

Wire nuts are way better and easily replced too, for wiring upgrades or changes

Reply to
hallerb

Sure it is, especially if you are a manufacturer. The problem is that so much stuff is made to meet a price point that they can't afford to use quality components.

The solid colored ones that you see in most places tend to be

Reply to
George

OK. Not easy if you're a retail customer like most people, just walking into home supply or hardware stores. You might get lucky, or you might not.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Source for the right connectors:

You'll have to jump through a few hoops to find a dealer, but it's worth the trouble.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Take a look at each product individually. For instance:

They're also approved for home wiring in many locales. Most people don't ask, though, so they're not aware of it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Why?

Reply to
Toller

Other considerations

Are they UL listed? This some indication of suitability and is required for NEC wiring. A very limited perusal of Panduit didn't find UL listing.

Are they listed for solid wire or just stranded? Not an issue if you are using just stranded. Some Panduit crimps are just for stranded. I have had bad luck crimping #14 and larger solid.

As referenced by another post will they be used at high temperature. There are nickle alloy crimps for high temp.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

I'm paranoid enough that whenever I use the crimp tool to put on quick connects, spades, rings, whatever, I will crimp then solder it. The insulation is partly damaged but at least I know the connection is good and won't pull out.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

I got my crimp connectors from Home Depot and they mate with a almost clear to white cap that can only be used once. The crimp tool they sell has a red handle and can crimp three types of crimps. Many here might disagree with me but I use plyers to twist the wire a few turns, then cut it off snug and then place the copper crimp ring over the wires and crimp it. Then I place the cap on and I wouldn't worry about the connection.

Mr_bill wrote:

Reply to
Joey

You have the wrong tool. If crimps are done right, it's extremely difficult to pull them apart. The force you'd need would be far beyond anything the wires would normally experience inside a junction box. And besides, whether you're wiring a home or a trailer hitch, you're supposed to route and support wires in such a way that they will never be subject to the kind of forces that would cause the crimps to fail.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My recollection is that soldering a crimp has been shown to weaken it.

Reply to
CJT

You know what they need? A stiff backing. That will keep them from deforming.

I'll bet. They need some way to attach them firmly. Maybe put the sleeves in the form of a cone and screw them on.

You could make the backing out of plastic.

mm

Make sure the connectors are rated for whatever type of wire you joining/splicing. The proper crimping tool has the appearance of a large bolt cutter or rebar cutter A cheap source is

Rusht Limpalless

You just have to go to a real electrical store. There are at least three in my area that stock either T&B, Panduit or Amp.

I do agree that most of the crimp stuff you find in the big box places should be kept in the craft/toy aisle and not the electrical aisle.

Reply to
George