Wire for range repair...

The wires on two burners need to be replaced and I don't know what type of wire to use. I have some regular insulated wire from something else I did but I am concerned that the heat from the burners will melt this wire, am I right? The wire says on it: (Essex 10 AWG Type THHN or THWN or MTW E53446* (UL) Gasoline and Oil resistant II 600 Volt VW-1.). What is the temperature limit on wire like this and would it be safe to use? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
zyx321

Bill Kaszeta Photovoltaic Resources Int'l Tempe Arizona USA snipped-for-privacy@pvri-removethis.biz

Reply to
Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Re

Regular wire will melt or burn. Ranges used to use asbestos coated wire. I imagine they found a replacement for the asbestos these days. it MUST be a hi-temp wire.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Would Home Depot or Lowes have such wire? If not, where might I find it? Thanks again.

Reply to
zyx321

search "high temp wire" or "high temperature wire"

the last old oven i did i just bought a kit at a local appliance service center. i found it by trying Sears.

Reply to
TimPerry

THHN is rated at 90 deg C

Reply to
Bob Peterson

know what type of

something else I did

this wire, am I

or MTW E53446*

the temperature

in advance.

None of those... you need wire very specially intended to serve heating elements at the point of connection. These are generally finely stranded copper with each strand silver plated, in a very high temperature rated insulation, asbestos is currently approved in limited applications or a substitute, This is generally then covered in a woven fiber glass sheathing... same with the connectors...not the usual connectors but silver plated rated for high temp application at resistance heaters, This wire is not a yer local home depot or usual electrical supply. THHN etc is not even close to suitable for such applications.. it would be better of course than THWN etc... but those are not rated for the proximate connections to heating elements.. just to run i mildly hot areas..

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Should these terminals be crimped on or can they be soldered?

Reply to
PAROADHOG

That's just not high enough for the application. When the oven is running HOT (especially is self-cleaning mode) the top of the over can get above boiling.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Appliance store, or possibly a large Ace Hardware store. Electrical supply stores probably have it too, but you will end up buying a 1000 or 5000 ft. roll.

Reply to
maradcliff
041124 2218 - zyx321 posted:

I got some of that wire at the local hardware store from their wire rack. Usually the hardware personnel will know what you need for this.

Reply to
indago

PFAH and TFE types with nickel coated copper are rated to 250 C and are approved for 'leads within apparatus' according to the NEC (Table

310.13). The question is whether 250 C is sufficient for connections within a stove/oven.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Within" the over? Nope.

BUT the connections are not made at the truly HOT spots. The inside of the over might easily be 500F and the space below the burners might be 250F. The elements are designed so that there is no heat produced within the last

4 to 8" leading to where the connection is made. The connection is made outside the over and arrangements are made for air to circumlate to keep the area (relatively) cool. (For the surface burners, efforts are made to shield the wires an connections from radiation from the hot parts of the elements.)

Baring something like an oven fire, 250C wire should be safe.

Reply to
John Gilmer