Wiremold Surface Raceways Questions

Hello:

Am considering using Wiremold non-metallic plastic raceways to connect a garage door opener to an existing wall outlet.

Would be very hard (for me) to thread the regular NM stuff behind the finished walls.

Have never used this product before, and have the following questions please:

a. Is it UL approved ?

b. Does it meet (most) applicable lectrical codes ?

c. egarding the 14 gage wire I want to use: I was going to use THW, but heard about THHN/THWN.

What are the differences ? Which would you suggest ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Check out

THHN wire has a thinner insulation and takes up less room in conduit. Probably not a concern for you in this instance. THW is for wet locations. Wiremold is UL listed.

I personally would use the metal raceway (#500) in a garage just for the durability. If you use it be sure to file off the burrs inside of the raceway before putting it together. Overall it is fairly easy for a novice to put together on flat surfaces. You don't need any special tools (Hacksaw, screwdriver). Your wire can usually be pushed from connector to connector on short distances. Make sure that you get deep enough boxes for your receptacles. The metal raceway is an approved grounding conductor, however I recommend pulling a green wire also.

Most electrical supply houses carry this in stock and they usually have a catalog to look up the parts you will need. Just ask to see it.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski