Stripping NM-B For Use In Wiremold. No Can Do, Right?

You are not allowed to pull the individual conductors from a length of NM-B cable and use them inside surface mounted Wiremold, correct?

The individual conductors aren't labeled, so I believe this violates 310.11.

Any way around this, other than leaving all my extra NM-B on the shelf and buying THHN?

What code section would be violated if the sheathing was stripped only at the turns so that the Wiremold 90's could be used? The rest of the cable would still be marked. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It is a violation seldom called unless the inspector just wants to be a prick. Yeah there are a few. Most inspectors understand NM-B contains THHN and the lack of writing is not killing babies. I would be far more likely to give a homeowner a huss tho than a contractor because they should have the right materials for the job.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks.

By "huss" I assume you mean "pass".

And I assume you'd prefer the full strip vs. just at the bends.

Can the ground be bare?

Does plastic vs metal Wiremold matter?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Sorry, old USMC thing, yes

I would prefer THHN but if you are doing it, why not strip the whole run? Less chance of nicking a wire and less chance of attracting attention to the violation.

Green, Green and Yellow stripe or Bare.

No

Reply to
gfretwell

Complete stripping was my plan, but since I mentioned both methods in my OP, I just wanted to be sure about which one you were "approving".

Nicking was also something I had thought of. I'm pretty good with a circular saw though, so it wouldn't really be a problem. ;-)

It may end being THHN anyway. I'm branching off an existing circuit that might be 12g. I have more than enough 14g lying around, but probably not enough 12g. I'll know tomorrow.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson