What's behind facebrick?

Just curious about this. I've never seen how facebrick is installed.

My wife wanted to hang something on an external brick face on our 1962 house.

I drilled in mortar between bricks, careful not to go more than about 1 1/4 inches, not sure what might be behind the sheathing. Last thing I want to do is hit a wire. I used plastic anchors and #8 screws, there's nothing heavy involved.

One hole was solid at the back, the other had a gap. That surprised me. If I went past brick I should still be in sheathing, right?

Reply to
TimR

If this was built 30-40 years ago or more you might be hitting celotex behind that face brick. There isn't much to that stuff. You can poke a hole in it with your finger.

Reply to
gfretwell

That makes sense, thanks.

Reply to