WireMold installation question

In order to install Wiremold metal raceway on the inside garage wall for

120v wiring for the exterior lights I need to cross an existing run of Wiremold that carries the 24v wiring for the sprinkler system.

Would it be kosher to have the new Wiremold simply cross over the top of the existing Wiremold and thus not be flat against the wall for the whole of its length? Or lift the existing Wiremold away from the wall and let the new Wiremold pass under it and thus remain flat against the wall? Or...?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Another good reason not to use wiremold. They do make a wiremold bender, theoretically you could make a bend over the existing raceway. You could also use two mousetraps and a piece of wiremold flex, and go over the existing raceway. You could also notch the sheetrock and drill the studs and use romex.

Reply to
RBM

*It is possible to bend a saddle in Wiremold, but it is a little tricky. The Wiremold tends to get distorted as it is bent. You cannot have the raceway float. You could put some blocks under it at intervals and strap it on to them. I seem to recall Wiremold making a flexible joint which would work in your case. Check their catalog.
Reply to
John Grabowski

*Wiremold part number V5700F Flexible Section. 18" long and works for 500 and 700 Wiremold
Reply to
John Grabowski

You could install a surface wiremold box. Cut out the attachment tabs at top and bottom (or sides) and run one wiremold straight through the box. Terminate the other wiremold at the box normally and run the wires through. You can't have the wires for both loose in the box. I would strongly prefer to run the power straight through, but it would be more work.

There are "bushings" that are required at cut ends of wiremold. You probably already know about them.

Reply to
bud--

An interesting solution, I don't know if it would conform to the intention of the code, but it seems like a safe enough solution.

RicodJour

I believe it conforms to the letter and intent of the NEC.

Reply to
bud--

I thought of that (but did wonder about the Code compliance), but in fact I think I'll just run Romex through the wall (between the studs) for that section of the installation, come out through the sheetrock into the back of a surface-mount Wiremold box, then continue with individual conductors in Wiremold raceway from that point on.

Yes.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Put a surface mount electrical outlet box where they cross.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can't have line and low voltage wires in the same box. That's why I was wondering about Bud's solution of running one conduit straight through the box. I don't know if that conforms to code or not. I don't see a problem with it, but I don't know.

RicodJour

??? I thought putting 110 and low-voltage in the same box was a no-no?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

*In some instances it is permitted if the conductor insulation is the same. It is also permitted if the two voltages are isolated by a divider. Bud's suggestion is a good idea. One raceway will pass through the box without the conductors being exposed while the other will use it like a junction box. And it will be neat.
Reply to
John Grabowski