Store sheetrock on edge?

When I bought lumber and sheetrock, I put some of the lumber down on the garage floor and laid the sheetrock flat on top of it. Now I want to get at the lumber to make the partition wall in the basement where the sheetrock is to be installed, but I want to avoid double handling as far as possible.

Would it be OK to lean the sheetrock against an existing wall for a day or two while I build the new wall, or will the sheetrock acquire too much of a bend (and even weaken?) in that time?

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

You should be fine leaning it against the wall. If you keep the paper tape on the ends, you'll be in even better shape.

Have fun

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

Leaving it standing a day or two won't matter unless it's very damp, then it might start to take a set but you really shouldn't store it in conditions that damp anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to stand it for a while, I just finished rocking my kitchen and the rock was standing up for about 2 weeks with no problems at all. Trying to stand it as vertically as you can will help minimize bending,but this really shouldn't be a problem no matter what.

Reply to
Mikey S.

Sheetrock, like plywood, is best stored flat on the floor. But a day or two should do no harm.

Reply to
Phisherman

If it will be there awhile or you are concerned, just lean some boards against the wall and then the sheetrock against that.

Harry k

Reply to
Harry K

A day or two always ends up being a month or two, or several years. Your mother-in-law will suddenly develop a case of arthritis, along with hemerroids, and you will be visiting her all of your spare time for the next 3 years or more. By then, your sheetrock will look like the hump in the middle of the golden gate bridge.

Only stand it on edge for a few days, and mail yourself a note to remind you to lay it flat again if it is still standing when the letter arrives in the mail.

PS. I wish your mother-in-law lots of luck. Those hemerroids can be a real pain in the ass. :)

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

wrote

If you hump in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge, wouldn't you get run over?

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Only if you were erect !!!

Reply to
maradcliff

For a day or two, OK. Keep it as straight as possible to avoid bending. A week or so, you may have serious problems.

FWIW, I had a cutoff piece standing upright for a few weeks. It bent over two feet at the top in a nice gentle curve that would never straighten. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Three feet in front of me(behind my desk) are three pieces of sheetrock. Two are 12 footers and one 8 footer. They have been there for almost a year. About 2 weeks ago, I pulled out one sheet to hang it as the last board in an extended remodeling project. It was slightly wavy but showed no problems when we hung it.

YMMV.

Reply to
HeatMan

While I know it isn't the best thing to do, I often have no practical choice but to store any leftover sheetrock on edge. I have had sheets stored that way for a year or two and never had enough of a bend to be a problem. I may just be lucky. It would be nice to have enough room to do more of these things the right way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Joesting

replying to maradcliff, Paula Marshall wrote: LOL

Reply to
Paula Marshall