Can a 40mm waste pipe be run through an internal timber stud partition wall?

as header like 15mm copper tube or 1/5mm2/2.5mm2 T&E can?
Will this structurally weaken the stud partition wall?
Reason I ask is we want to put a sink in one corner of a room against a stud and partition wall and run the waste pipe along the wall internally to a soil pipe in the adjacent corner 1.5m away?
The stud partition wall will have palsterboard on both sides.
On Monday 28 October 2013 21:47 Stephen wrote in uk.d-i-y:

How thick is the studwork?

On 28/10/2013 21:58, Tim Watts wrote:

It would be standard stud & partition, so I guess the studs would be 70mm plus 2 sheets of plasterboard
On Tuesday 29 October 2013 18:29 Stephen wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So you would put a 32mm or 40mm pipe though.
Leaving not a lot each side.
If you had to and the studwork was this thin (rather than say 100mm nominal) I would bridge the stud where the pipe passes with steel plates.

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:29:04 PM UTC, Stephen wrote:

ly

You can, yes. Its likely to weaken the wall severely. 70mm studs, if they a re, -40mm = 30mm, ie 15mm of timber each side.
It'd be good to put a row of noggings above the pipe to restore some of the strength. Do that before drilling. Make sure the holes are central and as small as you can work with. Definitely use 32mm waste & don't forget roddin g access. I'd use solv weld in the wall for maximum leakproofness. A photo can help in future.
NT
Stephen wrote:

It certainly "can" be run in the stud wall. Dunno if it should be or not-;)
On the new build I am working on the builders covered the massacred stud wall so that the NHBC inspector could not see it. I guess the builders had a good reason to hide the 40mm waste pipe from the inspectors eyes.
--
Adam

Stephen wrote:

For a sink why not use 32mm rather than 40mm?
On Monday 28 October 2013 22:07 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Asking for trouble IMO...
All manner of crap goes down kitchen sink drains.

Tim Watts wrote:

Nothing /says/ it's a kitchen ...
On 28/10/2013 22:07, Andy Burns wrote:

it is to be a hand wash basin and the waste pipe run length to the soil pipe stack would be approx 3m
Stephen wrote:

The last thing I'd ever describe a stud wall as being is "structural".
--
Scott

On Tuesday 29 October 2013 09:01 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

They can be, even if it is just supporting ceiling joists. That is why it is not totally safe to make the assumption they are not.
There's a *lot* of strength in 4x2" braced pillars set at 400mm.