Quick check - hole size in wall for 40mm waste pipe

Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size.

Presumably it makes it easier if the hole is slightly off centre.

This question related to the Ikea thread because the current fitting slopes slightly up hill through the wall yet there is scope to drill a hole several bricks lower.

All my drill bits and core drills are hundreds of miles away. No room in the car and I had no idea I would be tackling anything this complex.

Sigh.

Dave R

Reply to
David

Supplementary - recommendation please for source of one off setup to drill

50mm(ish) hole through 300mm brick cavity wall.

Screwfix or Toolstation?

Whatever, I will need it today.

I have powered hammer drills and a cordless SDS which I think is favourite for driving the hole saw.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

6mm clearance each side is ok. You don't want it to tight or you'll find ha ldheld slight misalignment causes problems with the plumbing.

Screwstation or toolfix are both ok - whichever you've got near & whichever is cheapest generally. Toolsatan is often cheaper. Screwfix frequently doe sn't have the wanted items, and it often boils down to a bait & switch. Don 't forget you'll need an extra arbour if using an SDS with some kits.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

TS do a 44mm masonry holesaw, if you have an existing arbour take it with you to check whether it fits, or you need to buy an arbour too ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah. Checked the outside diameter at just over 40mm.

Ikea adapter has an outside diameter of just over 40mm and an inside diameter of about 36.5mm according to my digital callipers.

The old push fit is marked as 1 1/2". which is roughly 37.5mm. The outside piping will be renewed.

Looks as though the tight bastards used an old run of pipe outside as well, which was slightly too short and gaffer taped.

New flexible pipe and old fitting seem to roughly match at around 37mm external/internal. We can but hope.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

McAlpine multi-fit straight connector or elbow may be your friends, wonder if "european" is their code for "ikea"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bought a diamond core bit along with arbor and pilot drill.

I thought my cordless SDS drill might give it a go with the hammer action.

I now read that the hammer action must not be used.

Wondering now if I should go back to Screwfix immediately and get a mains powered drill to drive it.

Cheapest seems to be £30, which will probably barely do it.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just turn of the hammer action and grind through - gently. That's what I did with my mains SDS. I wish I'd got a longer arbor as I had to finish the last bit from the outside, 14' up the ladder, using the drill one-handed (I already knew that the clutch (had) worked).

Reply to
PeterC

If the bricks are soft, you might get away using an ordinary cordless drill, probably a bit slow.

Reply to
newshound

Never use hammer & cordless is not too practical for this. Mains drills sta rted at a fiver last time I looked - Red Devil or something. Argos have dri lls now for £18.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bought the £29.99 one from Screwfix. This has the added bonus that I can use chisels with it. Already used that to clear the old white tiles which would have made mcore drilling a bit difficult.

Just slow and steady plodding now.

Bought the long arbor so it should hopefully go all the way through from the inside.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David