Fire stopping for INTERIOR basement walls?

Hi. I know I need to install fire stopping (1/2" sheetrock) above the top plate and along the perimeter of my basement as I install framing, per this image (which shows 3/4" OSB instead of sheetrock):

But, do I need to install the same type of fire stopping (i.e. sheetrock layer) above the top plate of partition walls that I'm building within (i.e. interior walls) the basement??

Thanks Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

I am not aware of any fire stopping required in R3 within the envelope of living space. You need to fire stop the garage walls and the ceiling over the garage but I don't know of a requirement for a basement. Most I have seen were just looking up at the sub floor of the first story if they were not "finished". You usually have draft stopping but that is just stopping the movement of air and perhaps the products of combustion. (fire "blocking") That might just be stuffing rock wool in the holes.

YMMV in some jurisdictions I suppose and I know there are inspectors who do not understand the difference between fire stopping, fire blocking and draft stopping. That is why we go to classes ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

I've never heard of firestopping for cellar partitions, but it makes sense as shown in the diagram. The idea is just to block any route that fire could take to spread quickly through the house. So that's how you can think of it: If there's a space you can block it. But if you're putting up a partition with drywall ceiling on each side, there's no space for fire to go through. There's drywall on each side and wood in the middle. The picture you linked shows firestopping to prevent a cellar fire from jumping into and across the floor above, from behind the partition.

For your purposes you'd probably want plywood. If you were going to use drywall it would need to be on the other side of the partition wall, not under it. In other words, you shouldn't use drywall as part of the structure.

| I know I need to install fire stopping (1/2" sheetrock) above the top plate and along the perimeter of my basement as I install framing, per this image (which shows 3/4" OSB instead of sheetrock): |

| | But, do I need to install the same type of fire stopping (i.e. sheetrock layer) above the top plate of partition walls that I'm building within (i.e. interior walls) the basement?? | | Thanks | Theodore | | | | | |

Reply to
Mayayana