Waterproofing Basement Walls

They make a water based water proof sealent. If it is as good as their roofing compounds (have been using for 5 years) then you will have no problem.

Reply to
Slumlord

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:05:45 GMT "Wally Korzenieski" posted:

Back around 1962, my mother rented the house she used to live in, at a reduced rate because the guy promised to do repairs, especially those related to the wet basement. Instead, he reported us to the building department for having a wet basement. (The one flaw in that story is that he came over only a week or two before he moved out and paid a month or two's rent, catching up maybe, I don't remember.)

So now the building department was after us and the inspector told my mother instead of hiring a contractor to buy some waterproof paint. She did, and I painted it, and it wasn't wet after that. Amazing.

If anything, I would think paints have gotten better in the last 40 years.

What about a belt sander to take the paint off the high spots of the cinder block. That's about half of the surface and maybe it will hold based on half. Use as coarse as they sell and you should be able to move quickly. Wear goggles and a respirator. Warning: I've never done this.

The building inspector (or chief of the building department, I don't knwo which) went on to be president of my fraternity's national organization, and mayor of Indianapolis maybe. My mother only talked to him over the phone. but thought he was a nice guy. Burt SerVaas.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Looking for some advice. My house is about 30 years old and the basement walls (typical concrete block foundation) are damp in spots. Certainly no streams of water coming through the blocks, just a bit of dampness, especially during the wet season. I'd like to apply one of the common water proofing materials to all the walls but half the walls were painted by a previous owner. All of the waterproofing materials I've checked out indicate they should be applied to bare concrete or block, not painted surfaces.

Any suggestions for sealing up basement walls, especially those that have been painted?

Thanks.

Wally Korzenieski

Reply to
Wally Korzenieski