Best way to cut hole through 20inches of sandstone?

I'm doing a new batroom for a mate. He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall. The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building. The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

What are my options for cutting the hole for the WC Waste?

Reply to
kmillar

Walls are probably 22" and rubble filled.

Diamond core cutter, easy to hire, you pay when you take it back for the amount of wear on the blde tips, they measure it with a microscope.

Its sore, very, on the arms, W.C. easier than ceiling extractor.

Be very aware of blade jamming and drill trying to throw you.

If it was a bigger hole , concrete cutting chainsaw :-)

Adam Aglionby

Diamond core cutter. For 22" thick wall you will need extension bars for the mandrel. Also use a vacuum to extract the cutter dust or you will suffer repeated jamming. I used to have a 127mm cutter with the appropriate mandrel, extensions and vacuum adapter.It worked fine using a DeWalt SDS drill and a henry but as with all such kit you need to have patience and let the cutter do the work not be forcing things. It took some practice to maintain a straight bore as the weight of the drill and extenders tends to cause deviation at first. My kit was Marcrist from Plumb Centre but hire firms may be well worth looking at.

I doubt the wall is solid and you may have trouble in the middle with loose stone causing jamming. My drill had a slip clutch which saved my wrists lots of grief.

HTH

Reply to
cynic

[Googles]

Double-blimey.

Huge

Thanks everyone, it's off to the hire shop then!

-K

Reply to
kmillar

a lot of hard work with a long drill, and then a bolster or cold chisel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm, a few months ago I did a 6" dia hole through about a foot of poured concrete wall using an SDS hammer drill and a combination of a large masonry drill bit and a chisel bit. Fortunately I could get at both sides of the wall, so I measured and did 6" depth from either side.

(The drill I borrowed from the neighbour, but I bought the bits and they were surprisingly cheap)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

=A0 'a lot of hard work with a long drill, and then a bolster or cold chisel.'

erm!! I wouldn't do that.

Hire a diamond core cutter and drill as recommended above. Mark the centre position of your hole. Fit the centre drill to the cutter. Start drilling - NO hammer action - diamond cutters don't like that. Go at about 1/3 to 1/2 speed. Any faster and you risk ruining the cutter. Once the core cutter is about an inch or so into the wall you can remove the centre drill as it is of no further use Continue drilling, regularly pulling out the cutter from the wall (still spinning) in order to clear dust. If you don't do that it will jam and can be a bugger to free up. Once you reach about 3/4 of the depth of the cutter, remove the cutter from the wall. With a hammer and chisel break out the core and remove any debris. Continue like this until you get through adding extensions only as you need them - don't start with them all on - that's awkward. If you do encounter a rubble filled cavity continue drilling through it very carefully stopping to remove any loose rubble.

Sandstone is quite soft so this should be an easy job for the diamond cutter

Reply to
ScrewMaster

I'd have probably drilled a ring of smaller holes and then chiselled out, but your hiring of bigger stuff will probably give you a neater job.

Spamlet

Amazing tool to use - unfortunately, I've only had the excuse once.

Reply to
boltmail

Reply to
Steve Walker