How to Attach the Ledger Board for the Patio in the once Story Home

Hi,

I'm planning to build a patio size 12 feet wide by 28 feet long in my backyard, the patio is approximatly 8 feet high, on one site of the patio (28 feet long) I plan to attach to the house, my house is one story home, what is the correct height from the ground up (or from the house base) that I should attach the ledger board on it, precisely the point to apply the carriage bolt to mount the ledger board against the wall, and what size of the ledger board I should use.

Also, on the other site of the patio, how many posts that I should set them up and what size of the post that I shouls use to support the patio's weight.

Thanks, Vance

Reply to
Vance Wu

A patio is generally something on the ground. I think you are talking a deck.

The board should be mounted below the door opening enough to allow for the

5/4 decking on top and yet has some sort of lip. Exact location will depend on how easily siding can be removed, if snow if a factor. If you are building with 2 x 8 that is what the ledger board should be.

I'd use 4 x 4s for posts, at least one very 4 feet. They must be supported properly too. Local building codes come into play here. So does the frost line.

You can get more detail by investing $10 in a book on how to build a deck. I'd also get approval of the building inspector before you start. Much easier to change design before you drive the first nail and screw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Don't forget flashing also when attaching ledger. Deck is always slightly inclined away from house for obvious reason. Don't make it perfectly level. And railing. Local lumber yard will help when you tell them what you want. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I second the suggestion you get a good deck building book, e.g. from Home Depot or such. Browse a number of them until you find the general design you have in mind. Also, remember, before you bolt and flash the (PT or otherwise inert) ledger, to put a resin or plastic spacer (I forget what you call them) that sets your ledger 1/2 to 1 inch away from the house siding, to prevent future rot along that part of the house.

Reply to
Roger

12 foot span will require 2X10's on 16" centers or 2X12's @24" center depending on your local codes (LC). Your posts will need to be at least 4X6 depending on the span. Your beam (far end where the post are) needs to be at least an 4X10 depending on local codes. Each post will require an footing at least 12X12X12, depending on frost and LC. The ledger beam house side needs to be at least the same as the joists. Simpson Strong tie has a lot of connectors that help and meet most building requirements. I attached my ledger with SDS-Strong Drive wood screws, 1/4X4.5". We used an 1/2" pneumatic drill to drive them. It was all my 15 gallon compressor set at 120 psi could do to drive just one. So we drove one, waited for the compressor and then drove another. Do not try to buy these screws at HD. They have them at about $3.00 each. I paid $0.80 at a construction supply store called ORACO.

Make it as high as you can. Your joist height will raise it some, but you want at as much clearance underneath for fans. They need to be mounted floor to blade no lower than 7'6". Make sure you have at least 1/2 per foot of fall. Again local conditions apply.

I used 1/2 inch 5 ply exterior rated plywood because it was cheaper than the OSB ( chip board ). My patio with footing already installed, thanks home builder. Cost me about $5.50 a square foot including the rough sawn beams and fascia. I had an contractors quote me from $2700 to $3500 for labor. I bought steaks and beer and had friends in the trade come over. Food cost me $400.00. Now I owe them again and am doing electrical work this weekend as pay back.

Drive around and look at new homes and see what they have done. Call the building department and ask.

Reply to
SQLit