Furnace's 24VAC transformer

Hi, I have an old GE home furnace that smoked its 24VAC transformer. This transformer has two additional output terminals that are marked "Thermostat " and connected to the thermostat. The other two outputs are marked 24v and are connected to the pilot light control unit and the gas valve. I took the bad transformer to my local HVAC supply store and they didnt have a direct replacement or any idea of the function of the two extra terminals marked "Thermostat". They wanted to sell me a generic 24VAC transformer but couldnt help me on where to put the wires that went to the original transformer's "Thermostat" terminals.

Does anyone have any idea of what the original transformer's Thermostat terminals do and how can I adapt a generic 24VAC transformer to their operation?

thanks for any help!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Seneca

Roy Mottola

"Thermostat

transformer

I am taking an WAG here and maybe there were 2 outputs from the old transformer. One was beefier for the valve and the other was limited for the t-stat.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi, Not sure? Id' buy two trannies, one for thermostat, one for funrace. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Connect one thermostat wire to one new transformer terminal. Connect wire (or wires) removed from one "24v" terminal on old transformer to other terminal on new transformer. Splice remaining wires [one thermostat wire and wire (or wires) removed from other "24v" terminal] together and insulate the connection. The old transformer had one "Thermostat" terminal and one "24v" terminal connected together and the power connected to the remaining two terminals so no splicing was required. Hope this is clear. Don Young

"Thermostat

transformer

Reply to
Don Young

really bad idea, competing transformers will cause the magic to be let out of them if they are tied together threw the controls.

Reply to
SQLit