REPLACE FURNACE TRANSFORMER

I AM REPLACING A BAD TRANSFORMER IN MY FURNACE THE NEW ONE IS A LITTLE DIFFERNET DESIGN. I HAVE CONNECTED THE BLACK 120V AND WHIT COMMON FROM THE TRANSFORMER. MY PROBLEM IS WITH THE SECONDARY 24 VOLT WIRING FROM THE TRANSFORMER IS GREEN AND RED FROM MY THERMOSTAT I HAVE RED AND WHITE (NO AC) FROM THE GAS VALVE I HAVE RED AND YELLOW HOW DO I CONNECT THE REMAINING WIRES.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Reply to
AL

Connect the Red and Green secondary wires the same way the secondary wires were connected on the old transformer. It doesn't matter if the colors are different or reversed, (although I've never seen red and green used)

Reply to
RBM

Please turn of the caps next time.

Next time mark them as you take them off. Makes the job a lot easier. :)

The hot 24 side of the transformer goes to the thermostat. The neutral 24 side goes to the neutral side of the gas valve.

The return wire from the thermostat connects to the + side of the gas valve.

Colors don't matter. They should but sometimes don't. You have to read the markings on the transformer and the valve.

If your system was wired with color coding in mind red = red and green = yellow. They just used a two wire cable to the thermostat, both of those wires are really red.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I think it was "AL" who stated:

A TRANSFORMER IS AN AC DEVICE, SO POLARITY DOESN'T MATTER!!!

oh. i got carried away. sorry.

-- When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty

Reply to
Don Fearn

Please don't shout at me. Hurts my ears.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's close to Christmas, thus the red and green !!!

Reply to
me

This is a whisper (below)

Reply to
usenet-whisperer

I think the ones I usually get have purple and yellow wires. I'll try buying some in December

Reply to
RBM

Colbyt is correct in his explanation of how the unit is wired, but- and this is VERY important- there is at the very least, a limit switch that must be in the circuit somewhere. Some break the transformer primary, some the secondary, and some also have auxillary limts/rollout switches that must be in the circuit. Your best bet would be to find the schematic for your exact furnace and wire it according to that. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30