bonding on Genreac 5500EXL portable generator

How can I find out if my Generator (factory original) has neutral ground bonding. I am using it with a transfer switch that only switches the hot and not the neutral. It need therefore to be unbonded. The unit does have a gren wire that has a secrew connecting the generator and the fram where it says grouns. Is this a means to change the bonding? Any input is apprechiated

Reply to
Glia

You check between the housing of the generator's winding and the neutral terminal of the receptacles with any type of resistance measurement device or a continuity checker. If you get continuity or any resistance other than infinity it is bonded. If not then your good to go.

It isn't as big a deal as some people make out as long as your talking about a portable generator that is disconnected when not in use. The biggest possible danger arises from the presence of a connection between the neutral and the Equipment Grounding Conductor on the load side of the service disconnecting means. If your transfer switch carries the whole houses load then that is a non issue because both connections are on the load side of the service disconnecting means.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

I finally got an answer from Generac in case someone else has the same problem. The generators do have ground neutral bond that must be removed when connected to a transfer panel. This bond can be removed by removing a jumper wire between neutral and ground found on the two outlet receptacle. Panel is easy to remove, as is this wire.

Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT wrote:

Reply to
Glia

Thanks! So kind of you to share this information.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Glia wrote: > I finally got an answer from Generac in case someone else has the same > problem. > The generators do have ground neutral bond that must be removed when > connected to a transfer panel. > This bond can be removed by removing a jumper wire between neutral and > ground found on the two outlet receptacle. Panel is easy to remove, as > is this wire. >

Glia If you use that generator set as a portable unit away from the house that bond must be intact for the safety of people using the things that generator will be powering. If the generator will not be connected to the transfer switch when your using utility power then you don't have to worry about the bonding.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician

Here is a web page that covers this subject and Generac well. You may want to have a look here; has some good info and pics on Generac.

Treetops