Honda generators

I almost bought a Honda EU2000i generator at the state fair 2 years ago (best price I'd seen) but I passed on it, mostly because I'd taken the bus to the fair and didn't want to wag the thing home on a bus.

Anyway, I'm getting interested in them again, and might buy one after hurricane season is over and before winter (ice storm season) sets in. But nobody lists their prices online. Is that a Honda thing? What is the street price of a EU2000i -- ignoring the current Hurricane Ike situation. Know any good dealers?

I also can't find any specs on expected engine life of the little Hondas. I know some of the really cheap 5000W generators are only rated about 500 hours, and you could burn that up in a month during an extended power outage.

I also can't find any small 1800 rpm diesel generators that might be a contender. There /are/ small diesels (Yanmar and Chinese knockoffs) but they all operate at 3600 rpm, which should have most of the durability problems of 3600 rpm gasoline engines.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

My brother-in-law has a Honda generator he aquired several years ago, 15 or so, and it is still going strong and is very quiet. We were on a island several years ago when he heard someone in the wee hours of the morning, so he got up, gave it one pull, and the lights went on. They didn't even know it was from a generator! If I had the money I would go for the Honda.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

zxcvbob wrote in news:6jglidF39225U1 @mid.individual.net:

I've used eu2000s for a lot of years. I've had failures after 3-4 years of around 6 - 10 hours a day use. And then it was usually just the timing belt which you can fix. We used the crap out of them and they'll keep starting, and the power is clean and they're quiet as hell... and sip the fuel.

If you only need 2000 watts and can afford them they are the way to go. I've had the best deals from my local honda dealer.

I'm a big fan of these gens.. and they're light .. basically they kick ass.

I think I paid around a grand for the last one .. like $960 or something, but this was several years ago.

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Yep, Honda does not allow Internet price advertising, so you need to call around and do your own shopping. As I recall, you can thank our current administration for allowing that particular consumer unfriendly behavior.

Join the EU2000i Yahoo group

ask there where folks are buying lately. I have seen new EUs on e-bay, but I am not quite brave enough to send that kind of money to a blind account and get...what?

I own one, they are great products. I bought mine here:

Give them a call and get a price. Let us know where you finally buy.

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Yes, that's a honda thing. If your needs fit an inverter generator (most people's don't), I recommend the Yamaha line, partially because of the honda thing. The Yamahas are actually better units and Yamaha doesn't have that same price-fixing attitude of honda.

Before you buy a generator and before I can offer any advice you need to identify what you want to do with it. Sit down, ask yourself that, write it down and post it. Then we can look at some possibilities.

John

-- John De Armond See my website for my current email address

Neon John

I bought two 1000 watt Yamaha inverter generators for my employer (initially chose Yamaha because they were a bit cheaper & fit within my corporate credit card limit). They are wonderful jewels! Yamaha is every bit as good as Honda.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Vaughn Simon wrote: ...

... And why should a company not be allowed to set whatever policies for their dealers/products they wish?

Surely if this particular peccadillo of yours were particularly user-belligerent it would be self-defeating and correct itself...

--

Reply to
dpb

Can they be run in parallel?

Z has given figures for Honda eu2000 life, I have had similar life for a Honda engined generic genset, do you think Yamaha will be as long lived?

Has anyone any experience of running Yamaha inverter gensets on lpg?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Have these guys send you a catalog, or visit one of their stores if you have one nearby www2.northerntool.com/generators.htm specs, etc will be in there

The reason, to me, that you want a Honda generator is that you want the Honda engine. I have one of their Honda-powered Northstar generators and it has proven reliable since 2000. Have run it for 8 days during Isabel with a tree on the house. Just used it when a tree felled by remains of a storm took out power, phone, cable. No problems, ever. YMMV starrin

Reply to
starrin

The honda can last 15000 hours if run easy, RPM is load dependant so at 100w it might only run 900 rpm, it also has as clean or cleaner power then your utility co, alt.energy.homepower is where folks are that have gotten 15000 hours, bull full load it and maybe you get

2-3000
Reply to
ransley

No prices? Plenty listed on a google product search.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For occasional use disposable unit, ETQ makes one I really like. I got an ETQ from Ebay for about $150, including shipping. Runs well enough to power a very old furnace with about half HP blower motor. I was astounded how quiet. And, it's about 55 pounds so I don't get a triple hernia trying to lift it. 1000 watts or so, with one power socket. But, it's useful. I bet it runs about 200 hours before it wears out, and then buy another one. But for my use, that's 20 years of useful life. Mine gets maybe 10 hours a year of run time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

the one place that listed a price on Google search was about a thousand dollars. I can get several ETQ brand generators for that money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, I live in COLD climate. One thing about Honda, it is very easy to start even in VERY cold weather. I never heard Honda engine dying after 500 hours of use. When I had camping trailer, I had small one which did it's job beyond satisfaction.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The (below) link does show some parallel kits. Also lighting kit, and tri fuel so you can run LPG.

Stormin Mormon

but

Hi, There are many dompanies doing that. Not only Honda.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Apples and oranges. I could have bought several tents for the price of my home.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

I like the idea of LPG. You don't have fuel sitting in the tank or carb or anything. A little oil fog at shutdown for storage and it is good to go next time. With gas or diesel you have greater potential for fuel problems.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I have no direct experience, but this company

claims to be factory-authorized to sell new/warrantied Yamaha generators pre-converted to LPG or tri-fuel. They also sell kits.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon