I only want to use it for a few minutes to run the well pump. I want to
keep it in the basement. I'm assuming that if I open the windows and
start it (assuming its a new generator), I will not be in any major
danger. My basement is 70' x 30' x 10' tall (i.e. huge) and has 4
windows, 2 at each end.
Alternatively I have to trudge outside with it through deep snow
(usually we get blackouts after such a thing), plonk it down and run
the cable through the window, which I do not want to do.
If at all possible I'd get some flex-metal tubing and endeavor to
lead as much of the exhaust out a window as I could..
Also if you have a chimney opening in your basement then use that it
would have an up draft.
On 29 Dec 2005 15:25:20 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Service garages do thsi sort of thing all the time when they work on
cars. In fact most have a hole in the door or wall where a steel flex
pipe carries the exhaust outside. Of course they only run the cars
for a short time.
What a bone head reply. The original poster already explained that he gets very
heavy snowfall. And he's not trying to get water out of the basement. He's
trying to operate his well pump.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
My reply was a totally asinine response to a totally stupid question. The OP
should just shoot himself if he's that determined to die. That way, at least
his family would survive and the house wouldn't be as likely to burn down.
I'd much rather you build (or buy, ready made) a small storage box where you can
store and run the generator outside of the house. Regardless of what
precautions you take, and how careful you are, things like running a gasoline
engine in a basement always seem to end up as a sad news story, where everyone
says, "What an idiot!"
Commodore Joe Redcloud
running an ICE inside a structure where people live is way too
dangerous - build you a small shed outside and punch a hole through the
wall for the wire connection. Several people lost their lives after
Katrina due to unvented gasoline generators.
I look for small gas leaks with a match - that is a safe practice
compared to running an ICE inside a building where people live - that
is my opinion.
Nothing, if used properly. Part of that is outside and well away from any
structure. Every year, there are news reports of some idiot who burned down
his house using a turkey fryer in a garage or next to a house. The danger is
that the oil can easily catch fire and flash over.
There may be different types of turkey fryers. The ones popular around here
run on propane and can easily overheat the oil.
What happens is, dumb-asses put water or ice-encrusted turkeys in the
hot oil, which bursts into steam. The tiny little steam explosion
atomized little puffs of oil, which promptly burst into flames, and
suddenly your turkey fryer is doing double-duty as a rocket engine.
YOu can do the same trick by dumping a tablespoon of water
into a frypan while frying bacon, if you feel like dying painfully.
Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not going to be
on when I'm not there. Its not going to run when I'm upstairs. Its just
going to sit there most of the year doing nothing, and get used maybe
once a year for 5 minutes, while I stand there and watch it. What's the
The fan mentioned above is a good idea, but it will have to be run by
Make sure you open the window. LOL
Seriously though, you may want to consider the suggestions above to pipe the
exhaust outside. Even if you don't think so now, there will come a time when
you might want to run it longer, especially if you connect other things to
The CO is one problem.
The gasoline inside the house is another.
and it will be VERY loud, and dark and you will be under a stressfull
situation and won't be able to think straight.
Sounds like a bad combination.
Sorry, but I have to ask.
Your original question to the group was "Can you run a generator in a
basement with the windows open?" Even a casual read
of that original post and this second one indicate you feel it's not
So why ask at all? Ignore the hundreds of warnings given in so many ways
by so many experts after so many tragedies are reported.
Turn that sucker on.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.