Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?

You are going to do it anyhow, and you want someone to tell you that it is okay. That way it isn't your fault.

Its a stupid thing to do and you know it. Sure, the odds are you will get away with it, but in view of the potential downside....

Reply to
Toller

Sure no problem and when the gas gets low be sure an use a match to check the level in the tank. I've seen the results of what you are asking about destroy a home not to mention the effects it had on the family involved. They survived but never recovered.

Reply to
sleepdog

Its a good sized basement, but look at it this way...

How much is your life worth??? You want to run exaust fumes through some tubing out of the house? Bad idea. What happens if snow plugs up your home made tube. In no time you can get carbon monoxide poisoning down there and we'll read about you in the paper.

Have fun storing GAS in the basement too. That's one the insurance company would love. Gas vapors and a furnace or boiler...

Seriously if you have to run this pump on a regular basis either get a batter backup or make some sort of semi perminant enclosure for this generator OUTSIDE.

Its not even remotely a good idea to risk your life for something so trivial.

Reply to
BocesLib

Are you trolling or serious... Thats nice you know your honda will just smell a little and make little noise down there. If your running any gas engines down there your out of your mind!

If you can, modify your will to leave me the 2000i when your overcome by CO down there. Run the 2000I in the garage and run the 220v unit right next to it with a real long plug.

Or just get a backup 110v pump... Or get an emergency battery operated one.

Reply to
BocesLib

I doubt it has the power to run a well pump, otherwise that would be the solution.

Reply to
dean

Cant we have a conversation here without assuming everyone is a complete f****it? People aren't necessarily stupid just because they are strangers online.

Boces - how can I put in a 110V or backup well pump, 200 feet below surface? Run a new system next to it? Dig a second hole? Come on! Checking the gas level? When I only use it 5 minutes a year, it will never run out! What if my exhaust fan is blocked by snow? Jeez how could I ever notice that one, after all I'm only standing right next to the thing, as mentioned! And so on....

I'm not asking for reassurance, I'm looking for opinions from smart people who may have alternative ideas. That's where google groups is fantastic. I've use this group to install a generator transfer switch, fix my fridge, fix the garage door opener, untold great advice. Its the patronizing dickheads that make it all tedious to wade through all their waffly 'fatherly advice, son'.

So far, the soundest advice I think I'll go along with is to run the generator in the garage (YES OPEN!) and run a cable down to the basement,

Thanks for all the good advice everyone.

Dean

Reply to
dean

No big deal. Go do it, you dumb f****ng halfwit. The rest of us will laugh at you on the evening news.

Reply to
Dan C

I would think that the word you want is dimwit.

That word makes sense, means something.

Your word is inane, and vulgar for the sake of being vulgar.

And when you come here for free answers, you should tolerate when people suspect you are a dimwit**. You certainly shouldn't escalate what is only his suspicion for the sake of your own safety to gutter language.

**Whether they have reason or not. But actually there are reasons. After all, you only suspect your current generator can't run the pump, when you have all the parts to find out for a fact if it can or not. And you think you can blow the exhaust gas out***,

***The fans will blow out a little exhaust gas and the rest won't be. How many times will it have to blow out the entire volume of basement gas to blow out 90% of the exhaust gas? I don't know but quite a few.

and what follows:

And the downside to his family, and anyone else who might be there.

mm

OOps. What's wrong with turkey dep fryers?

mm

Unbolting the muffler and attaching a stainless steel flex hose to its port and piping that out a window would be less messy.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

How about a 2:1 transformer? Startup might still be a problem... It might help to start a motor with a flywheel first, or use a surplus

120 to 240 V motor-generator or a 120 V motor connected to a 240 V motor with a small 2:1 field transformer.

I've looked at the EU2000 exhaust port. It should be fairly easy to remove the muffler and attach a stainless steel flex pipe with an oval flange with a hole in it and the two original bolts.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

What does the well pump pull, a step up 120-240 transformer is cheap, gee I have about 6 from living in europe . What is surge capicity on the

2000. But you are pretty careless to run a gas motor in the house.
Reply to
m Ransley

perhaps instead, see if your pump can be more safely plugged into a

110v inverter you run off your car's battery?
Reply to
buffalobill

m Ransley Dec 29, 10:10 pm show options

"Maybe Nick will be along to help you with Cogen. "

Now that's a good one! LOL!

Reply to
trader4

Cogen saves half the fuel's heating value, which US utilities normally waste. Not so in the rest of the world, nor in the US in the 1930s. Many buildings were heated this way before utilities stole the show. Small cogen is coming back big as natural gas CHP, with plans for Honda engines heating water in

10,000-20,000 UK kitchens.

EU2000 cogen makes sense to me, piping the exhaust into the top of a $200 natural gas water heater, esp. if we can replace mechanical parts when they wear out (a $129 cylinder assembly?) and use a propane or NG conversion kit and a larger oil sump to lengthen the 100 hour oil change interval.

I haven't looked at the EU2000 air intake. Can we put the water heater in a small plastic film room in the basement and depressurize that room with a pipe to the EU2000 air intake? That would help assure that any exhaust gas that leaks from the pipe connection at the bottom of the water heater to the outdoors ends up outdoors, while the heat from the engine ends up in the basement.

Having done MIL-217 and FMECA and telco reliabiility studies, I don't worry much that the inverter will fail quickly. I assume it's well-designed, with electrolytics sized for ripple currents, moderate junction temps, and so on.

When will Mr. Wizzard try plugging his EU2000 into a wall socket? :-)

If we make electricity with fossil fuels, why waste 80% of the heat?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

A serious reply.

I once tried to use my leaf blower to clean the garage with the 16' door open. About 45 seconds into the project all my smoke alarms were screaming. The one in the garage set them all off.

Many people die each year from using propane or gasoline engines in enclosed areas. Don't be one of them. Build or buy a generator enclosure, set it up outside as needed or don't use it.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Nick its closer to 1/3 heat loss.

Pipe it to the top, no the bottom is better as you have no condensation provisions in your pipeing, it could fill with water ruining the motor. Best is a constant angle down from exaust port.

Depressurise the room, exuast the gas inside the building, a rube mononberg idea. Lets see, insurance would be cancelled and an inspector would deem house uninhabitable. Your idea will kill people. Also a fire hazzard of running a gen inside, but you never heard of leaking carbs, cracked fuel lines, stuck floats, gas fumes, spilt gasolene etc etc etc. Gasolene anything, does not belong inside.

Reply to
m Ransley

Nothing, if used properly. Part of that is outside and well away from any structure. Every year, there are news reports of some idiot who burned down his house using a turkey fryer in a garage or next to a house. The danger is that the oil can easily catch fire and flash over.

There may be different types of turkey fryers. The ones popular around here run on propane and can easily overheat the oil.

Reply to
Robert Haar

I hereby submit your name as a potential Darwin Award nominee. Eric

Reply to
Eric

You have got to be kidding. The EU2000 just barely starts my freezer. It is going to start a well pump?!

Reply to
Toller