Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?

I only want to use it for a few minutes to run the well pump. I want to keep it in the basement. I'm assuming that if I open the windows and start it (assuming its a new generator), I will not be in any major danger. My basement is 70' x 30' x 10' tall (i.e. huge) and has 4 windows, 2 at each end.

Alternatively I have to trudge outside with it through deep snow (usually we get blackouts after such a thing), plonk it down and run the cable through the window, which I do not want to do.

TIA!

Dean

Reply to
dean

can you vent the exhaust out a window? I mean with some real redneck-like plumbing and the tractor stack and everything.

I'm only half-kidding.

Reply to
phaeton

If at all possible I'd get some flex-metal tubing and endeavor to lead as much of the exhaust out a window as I could.. Also if you have a chimney opening in your basement then use that it would have an up draft.

Reply to
tinacci336

You can do it if your wife isn't home, otherwise, put a fan in the window, pointing out. P.S. Be sure to open the window, and turn the fan on.

Reply to
Bob

What a bone head reply. Don't you realize how much heat he'll be losing?

Reply to
PanHandler

I'd much rather you build (or buy, ready made) a small storage box where you can store and run the generator outside of the house. Regardless of what precautions you take, and how careful you are, things like running a gasoline engine in a basement always seem to end up as a sad news story, where everyone says, "What an idiot!"

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud

What a bone head reply. Maybe he lives in Panama or Arizona. Maybe he does not care about heat loss compared to getting water out of the basement.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

running an ICE inside a structure where people live is way too dangerous - build you a small shed outside and punch a hole through the wall for the wire connection. Several people lost their lives after Katrina due to unvented gasoline generators.

I look for small gas leaks with a match - that is a safe practice compared to running an ICE inside a building where people live - that is my opinion.

Reply to
butch burton

What a bone head reply. The original poster already explained that he gets very heavy snowfall. And he's not trying to get water out of the basement. He's trying to operate his well pump.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud

My reply was a totally asinine response to a totally stupid question. The OP should just shoot himself if he's that determined to die. That way, at least his family would survive and the house wouldn't be as likely to burn down.

Reply to
PanHandler

Sure why not, people use turkey deep fryers, charcoal bbq grills all the time inside. They sometimes die, but so what, start a fire on the floor to keep warm while you are at it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not going to be on when I'm not there. Its not going to run when I'm upstairs. Its just going to sit there most of the year doing nothing, and get used maybe once a year for 5 minutes, while I stand there and watch it. What's the big deal?

The fan mentioned above is a good idea, but it will have to be run by the generator:)

Reply to
dean

Make sure you open the window. LOL Seriously though, you may want to consider the suggestions above to pipe the exhaust outside. Even if you don't think so now, there will come a time when you might want to run it longer, especially if you connect other things to the generator.

Reply to
Bob

The CO is one problem.

The gasoline inside the house is another.

and it will be VERY loud, and dark and you will be under a stressfull situation and won't be able to think straight.

Sounds like a bad combination.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

You can't kid us. The power is out; you have a generator. Of course you will run it more than just to pump up water pressure. Furnace... lights... fridge... tv... you know, civilization. Maybe you can figure out something about the exhaust (and your generator vents the crankcase blow-by gases to the air intake) but there's no getting around the issue of indoor gasoline handling which is dangerous enough to nix this idea regardless of the other details.

You need to figure out a way to run this outside where it's safe and sufficiently convenient that you will forget these thoughts. Being able to have all the comforts SAFELY while your neighbors shiver in darkness is worth a little extra effort to work out the details in advance.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Sorry, but I have to ask. Your original question to the group was "Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?" Even a casual read of that original post and this second one indicate you feel it's not dangerous. So why ask at all? Ignore the hundreds of warnings given in so many ways by so many experts after so many tragedies are reported. Turn that sucker on. Unbelievable.

Reply to
Gerry Gardiner

I don't know what's come over the group today. Usually they warn people like you about imminent death. So I'm going to bring it up and wait for someone else to say what differentiates this case from all the others where death was abig risk.

No one even said to get a CO detector.

But I still have doubt about the fan to do anything substantial, and the gases in the basement will probably rise to upper areas of the house.

I had an old outboard motor I was repairing and testing. I Put a sawhorse in the bathtub and mouted the engine to that . I starte a 21 inch fan blowing out from teh bathroorm and another pretty big fan blowing in the same direction in the bathroom door. I started the engine and within 5 seconds the room was filled with smoke. and the fans were I think continuing to fall behind in blowing out the air. My 5 or 10 second test was enough that I took it out on Jamaica Bay.

Now it made a lot of smoke because iirc it was a two-cycle engine, and it was old, but that has nothing to do with the inability of the fans to remove the exahaust gases.\\

mm

Now mm why would he want a Co detector, More money and alot of work to hook it up like a gen, and with all that noise you wont hear it anyway. I know my neighbors lawnmower caught fire, oh but this is a generator, its better.

Maybe Nick will be along to help you with Cogen.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ok here's the deal. I have another generator, which runs the rest of my house. Its a honda 2000i, I can't hear it from the house when I run it in the garage with the door open. I wired it up to a transfer switch with 6 circuits and it works perfectly.

Problem is, it does not have 220V. The only thing in my house that needs that is the well pump. And I dunno about you, but water is the MOST important thing to me after a day of blackout.

Hence my original question. I am here getting opinions and will act on them when this thread is done. I know for sure I can run my 2000i in the basement and make zero smoke and just a little smell. I just need a

220V generator. I dont see the big deal about running it for a moment - after all how long does it take a well pump to provide 100 galons?

dean

Reply to
dean

Why not just put a transformer on the feed from the other generator (assuming it has enough excess capacity for "a moment" of pumping)?

Reply to
CJT